Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Ripper Shifter. HOWEVER, under heavy acceration(which is most of the time:D :D ), it makes a bit of vibration noise. A few months ago I recall seeing a fix. I didn't print it, and now I can't find it.

I've heard that one fix is a sound proofing material called "Dynomat" that you wrap the linkage in.....it's available i auto stereo shops.

Anyone used this stuff? How do you apply it? Any ideas or experience on other ways to fix the problem? Apparently it's quite a common problem with after market shifters.

Thanks much,
Barry

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I've heard rumors that the Kirban shifter is quieter ... don't know first hand. Maybe someone can back this up. I know alot of guys have had the Ripper, then switched to the Kirban.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I used 1/2" heater hose (might be 5/8") and slipped it down over the shaft of the shifter. I wrapped the heater hose with Dynamat, and secured it with two small wire ties. It's not slient but much quiter than before.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
The problem is that the stock knob is hollow. You have 2 choices.

Buy a new knob, or fill the cavity with silicone....

I have not tried either, but supposedly both work well.

Try driving the car with the little gear diagram off.....It should be quiter with the plate off, then at least you know you're on the right track....

Dynomat may quiet it some, the hose method may help some, but the real problem is the cavity. Sound coming up the shaft is reverberating inside the cavity.

JC

·
Registered
362 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
I love my Ripper Shifter. HOWEVER, under heavy acceration(which is most of the time:D :D ), it makes a bit of vibration noise. A few months ago I recall seeing a fix. I didn't print it, and now I can't find it.

I've heard that one fix is a sound proofing material called "Dynomat" that you wrap the linkage in.....it's available i auto stereo shops.

Anyone used this stuff? How do you apply it? Any ideas or experience on other ways to fix the problem? Apparently it's quite a common problem with after market shifters.

Thanks much,
Barry
Easy fix--use 3 stick on wheel weights,attach them under the leather boot to the shaft and cover with tape.The added weigth kills the vibs

·
Registered
43 Posts
A wooden shifter would be better that a stock shifter. I buried mine in the back yard under a tree. I do believe it will make a better fertilizer that a shifter!!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used the heater hose on mine. It stopped some of the rattling, but there is still a bit. To me it is worth some noise to have a shorter throw on my shifter.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Shifter Rattle

I'm curious... do you guys experiencing this rattling have " heavy " aftermarket shift knobs or not?

I have Nate's from Extreme and mine doesn't rattle a bit. :)

No heater hose, etc. either...

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have a flameball on mine. It is fairly heavy. The rattling doesn't seem to come from that though.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Again, its the stock knob's cavity causing the noise.....almost any new knob would fix it, or filling the cavity with something.

If you want to test it and not make a mess, goto the local craft store or WalMart and get some of that new Crayola clay that comes in small bags. It's like rubber and won't come apart or leave residue. Stuff some into the cavity and drive the car.

If it works (which it will) you can decide to leave it in, or remove it and fill the cavity with silicone or something that will come out in one piece later on......

Enjoy.

JC

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
DLSCWBYVT said:
To me it is worth some noise to have a shorter throw on my shifter.
I could live with some as a tradeoff... :)

DLSCWBYVT... I guess it is rattling under the rubber boot? :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts