Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have tried everything to love this thing and all it does is rattle and vibrate like my wifes second best friend!

All I know is that I have gave it some time and tried everything to make it stop and it still drives me crazy. I did the wheel weight thing today and it still vibrates. No more for me. I am yanking this thing and throwing the stockier back in till I hear the Hurst model is safe to purchase. I liked the short shifts but the noise/vibration is too much for me! Hell maybe I will cut down the stocker.

I am just dreading the cleanup of the silicone that I used to install the thing.

I HATE IT!

JOHN

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I hate to say it, but I bet the Hurst will be just as noisy :roll:

ps Are you still using the stock shift knob?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am worried the hurst will be noisy too thats why I am going to wait a while till I get confirmation.

As for the shift knob, I have a momo unit on it.

BTW did I mention in this post how much I hate that damn shifter? :mad:

JOHN

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Will it be.....

The pics I have seen of the Hurst look similar to the Ripper. Many people are looking to Hurst as the saving grace, when it might be as noisey etc at the B&M, or it might be better.
In the mean time J, how about shortning the stock rod, FCalmes just did a how to post.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like you might not have done something quite right with the install -- either that, or the Momo knob (with set screws, right? Yuck!) isn't what you need (and even then, LOTS of people love their Momos on the Ripper).

I had a Kirban for all of about 20 minutes in my car -- now THAT thing made some noise!

I know someone who has taken apart the Hurst to see what makes it tick -- sad to say, he said it looks an awful lot like the Ripper.

Me, I like the Ripper. It's great with the Hardbar knob on it.

-Kirk

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
J Wilson

I had put a Pro 5.0 shifter in my Cobra( acouple of yrs ago) I could not stand the noise it made. Took it out after 3 days. Terrible!!! When I put the Ripper in my ZO6, I thought as I drove home" another waste of time/money". Sounded like my old LaSalle trans in my old Deuce coupe! Almost took it out. Read all the posts on the Ripper(here on ZO6Vette) and ordered a shift knob that night. End of problem. Still there is just a hint of noise, but certainly tolerable( to me). Maybe try one more knob? Or,maybe take the knob off completly and take it for a short ride. Eliminates the knob part of the equasion anyway. Hope it works out for you. Sorry you hate it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sorry to hear the troubles John. I only have a little buzz at WOT. I know after talking to you last weekend that you were pretty displeased...wish I had an answer for you. :( Have you called B&M to see if they have a solution????

·
Registered
945 Posts
One of the guys that got a pre-production Hurst shifter said it was quieter. Not sure if he was being honest but thats what he said. I will be waiting for it, I have heard too many negatives about the Ripper!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Drive it with no knob and see if its still too loud, if not, then you know another knob will do it.

The quietest knob will be the one that is solid and high mass and screws onto the shaft. IE, a round chunk of steel (not feasible), next would be a round alum, or the hardbar.

JC

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
This is gettig stranger by the minute :( I've read posts from Ripper Owners who have no noise.

In my case, I had a lot of noise, but got rid of it with some help from my Brutha's suggestions. We did the wheel weight trick, the elecrrical tape trick and Dynomat sound proofing. That got rid of 90% of the noise.

BrianK is right. When I installed my Hard Bar it took away the remainder of the noise. I'm noise and rattle free even at WOT to the Rev Limiter:D

The Hard Bar screws all the way onto the shaft. It's made of a very DENSE material called Delrin.

Perhaps the delay in the Hurst Shifter is a noise problem;)

Barrie

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Brian is right I guess "Sucks" is an exaggeration used to create attention but I am near that emotion :lol:

When I installed it I was aware of many problems people had so I took my time and tried to isolate the noise as much as possible.

First I took clear silicon on the base in between the bottom of the shifter and the gasket. I used Teflon tape on the new screws when I installed the shifter. I put silicone in-between the black condom that comes with the ripper and the stock rubber noise deflector. I recently put on 3 layers of stick on wheel weights wrapped with duct tape.

As for the momo it is an aluminum leather air race. It has a plastic sleeve that is put over the threads and then the knob slips all the way down over the top and is retained with 3 set screws. The first time I installed the knob I didn't get it all the way down and the 3rd set screw went into the notch where the stock pin goes. I knew this could not be right so I pound it down till it was fully seated.

Now the way I look at it I drop a few bucks on a shifter and have had to work way to hard to make it an acceptable product "FOR ME". Is it better, well yeah. Is it right, no!

As for using other knobs well sure that is a solution but why in the hell should I have to. I like the one I have and sure as hell don't want to compromise any more to make this thing work. After I rip it out I will be selling as fast as I can, no reasonable offers will be ignored.

JOHN

·
Registered
46 Posts
Have a Kirban and LOVE it!!!!!.. NO noise at all and very percise!!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think John has made up his mind, hopefully when he gets the Husrt he will report back with his objective findings, after which there may be a Hurst on the market, or a very happy John:D

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
You are dealing with a tansmission a long way back from the shifter. That is why GM put the oar in to begin with. A smooth and sloppy shifter that reduces the vibration from the needed strenghth and precision of the linkage.
Hurst will be no better. You cannot tighten anything and not excepect it to still be smooth.
For me the small amount of noise overrides the sloppy shifter.
I bought a performance car and noise is a part of owning one.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
Kirban/Harbar...Trade-offs

My close friend FRC Tom installed a cut down Kirban Shifter/Hardbar combo without removing the console in my Z06.

It upgraded the driving experience significanly. I find myself throwing the gears around often....much more exciting. Fubu/Les

·
Registered
0 Posts
I have a Race Air Leather on my Ripper and love it. I am thinking the problem may be the way the knob is attached and the fact that the factory shifter has rubber pressed intp the shifter shaft for dampening. I do get a buzz during WOT. The Ripper or as far as that goes, any aftermarket shifter is going to be made of a solid piece of metal.

JMHO...with the MOMO combination, you will have the same problem with whatever shifter you choose. GM didn't put all that rubber in there for no reason.

Sorry for your problems John. :(

MOMO Race Air Leather

Stock shifter showing inner rubber dampening bushings.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A noisy shifter would not go over well on a test drive. GM is perfectly willing to sacrifice precision and feel to eliminate noise. I can deal with noise so I'll install my Ripper when it warms up a little in Atlanta.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts