Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Gerry, that thread looked pretty radical until my wife reminded me that I did two top speed runs with her in the car. :eek: Best part was we didn't have to wash Utah salt off our cars when we were done. :lol: In any event, it was fun runnin in the 170s with you on the interstates. Now, what's that I hear about your first place finish in an open road event in Neb. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I met Bill Weir from TX over this past Labor Day weekend at the NCM.
He showed me and others his 205 mph speeding ticket.:eek:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
FRC Tom said:
I met Bill Weir from TX over this past Labor Day weekend at the NCM.
He showed me and others his 205 mph speeding ticket.:eek:
Tom, is that the guy who claimed he went 200+ in a Vert? If it is, I'm not buying unless he was going down a 45 degree embankment. The hp it would take to pull that speed in a vert would be unbelievable.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Thats him Ron.
He told us at 180 mph with the top down and the windows up he flicks an ash from his cigarette near the rearview mirror and it will just float there.
Would you do a buck eighty smoking a cig.?
Maybe he's smoking something else. :eek:

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Tom, I figured it was him.:roll: I saw a buddy with a vert doing about 150 top down and an empty pop can on the floor lifted into the air, floated around his wife's head a couple of times and then went sailing out the back and almost hit me (I was behind him and I could see it). :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I read that thread about him doing 182 on the salt with a FRC. He said he was topped out in 5th gear, but if I run the numbers for that gear and his rear end, he would have to be doing over red-line (6700 RPMs) to go 182. I think the redline on that car is 6000 since it's an LS1.
Also, calcs say it would take ~360 RWHP to go 182 MPH. I really doubt that a stock LS1 with an intake mod is making that much RWHP. Sorry, but I have to call alittle :bs: on his claims -- it just doesn't add up. BTW, my model is pretty accurate, so I know I'm not that far off :D.

:z: <--- had to try out this little cool dude :D.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Zeeoh, the FRC tranny gear ratios are the same as the coupe and verts. I think redline in 5th for those trannys is well over 185. I had a '99 FRC with only a K&N air filter and Corsas and I backed out of it at and indicated 175. I'm not sure what was left, but it was still pulling.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Wheere do you guys run those speeds without fear of the cops locking you up and throwing away the key? :eek:

Zip :) :)

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Zippy, dozen or so vettes, all with CBs spread out over several miles with no other cars in the area. We all know what eachother is doing, the leader tell us of the road condition and if it is all clear and the ones in the back put the pedal down until they are in the front. ;)

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Rippied.Z06 said:
Zeeoh, the FRC tranny gear ratios are the same as the coupe and verts. I think redline in 5th for those trannys is well over 185. I had a '99 FRC with only a K&N air filter and Corsas and I backed out of it at and indicated 175. I'm not sure what was left, but it was still pulling.
Ooops -- your correct, I was using Z06 5th ratio instead of 0.74 for 5th. I used 3.42 rear end. Anyway, with the correct gear ratios, it says 182 MPH is at ~5950 RPMs.

BUT, this still does not explain how a stock LS1 with only an intake mod is making 360 RWHP (424 FWHP). BTW, it takes ~325 RWHP to go 175 MPH, so you can see there's a big required HP difference between 175 and 182 MPH (cubic function of speed).

Maybe he was loosing traction, and the rear tires where actually going 182 MPH, but the car wasn't. IMO, he really needed a GPS to get true speed in this case, because on a surface like that traction is a big problem! There is no other logical answer, unless he's fibbin' about his mods :D.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry, but the article referenced in the above post, and the table you show above are only addressing air drag and the HP to overcome only air drag. The table DOES NOT include HP to overcome rolling resistance at speed.

I use the same calcs for aerodrag and also include separate rolling resistance calcs. For a FRC Vette at 182 MPH, it takes a TOTAL of 360 RWHP -- 263 RWHP to overcome aerodrag and 97 RWHP to overcome rolling resistance. Most people don't realize that rolling resistance requires ALOT of HP at speed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To quote the article mentioned in my previous post:

http://members.home.net/rck/phor/06-Speed.html

More interesting to the racer is the fact that it takes 145 hp to overcome drag at 150 mph. We know that our Corvette example car has about 240 hp, so about 95 hp must be going into overcoming rolling resistance and the slight braking forces arising from internal friction in the drive train and wheel bearings. Race cars capable of going 200 mph usually have at least 650 hp, about 350 of which goes into overcoming air resistance. It is probably possible to go 200 mph with a car in the 450-500 hp range, but such a car would have very good aerodynamics; expensive, low-friction internal parts; and low rolling resistance tires, which are designed to have the smallest possible contact patch like high performance bicycle tires, and are therefore not good for handling.
Aren't the C5s built to these low rolling resistance specs just for high speed runs? :)

The guy had 295/35-18s on the rear giving him a bit of an error in the speedometer, 2% by my calculations. 178 is very reachable with a slightly modded frc. Ask RippiedZ06!

:cheers:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Gerry ole friend. I always thought you were a nut case, not you have confirmed it!! :lol:

JK Bro, how ya been?? Haven't heard from you for awhile. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Old Fart! Work's been wearing my nuts down past the hairs lately:D

Ron made mention of that race thing. I happen to get lucky and averaged 90.00 mph for the Sandhills Open Road Challenge. Because of the limited safety gear in the car I was limited to a 110 mph tech speed. I crossed the finish line on the second of my target time. I tied another guy but had a better rally time earlier in the day.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/results-01-sorc.htm#90

You and Magic staying out of trouble? I wouldn't think so:cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts