Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first wheel to wheel race at Road America! :D I had done many lapping days there before.

For the unfamiliar (are there any? I know we all watch Speed Channel constantly) this is a 14 turn 4 mile road course, the site of Champ Car, ALMS, etc. pro races. It is absolutely fabulous (and fast, horsepower counts..)

I qualified with a 2:37, putting me 9 of 17 in "big bore GT" group (includes GT1, GT2, ASR, AGS).

I finished 2 of 4 in ASR, 5th overall (I think, need to double check). Many DNFs. The race was uneventful for me. Lots of space (perhaps too much), and I just drove and drove. 2 GT1s lapped me but otherwise I held position.

It was a 2 day event, practice and qualifying 1st day, qualifying and race second day. The race was 40 minutes, which is long for MWC (usually 30). With the temps around 95 degrees it was a test for man and machine, but I made it. :thumb:

There was some interesting company and a few really fast cars. One in particular was Max LaGod. He races Trans Am normally and brought out his :coo: yellow "c5 corvette" - of course these are full tube frame, silhouettes. He did a 2:12 :jawdrop:

Anyhow, things went well. My family came, we all stayed at the Osthoff, great luxury resort. Quite a weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,170 Posts
Max Lagod was the chief instructor at my first SCCA drivers school held at Gingerman. I vividly remember him coming up to me during the second day saying I was really "getting after it" (or something to that affect). It really made my day. Now I see him on SPEEDTV and think about that day!

His comments really made an impression on me; so much that I make a point of giving lots of encouragement when I am an instructor. It works wonders! One of my students from last year, when he met my wife this year, made comments about my engouraging words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David or others -

Have you raced or lapped at Road America, if so what times did you get? I was a little disappointed in my 2:37 (best, during qualifying), 2:39/40 (consistent during race).

I'm still basically stock (exluding safety and heat management), except Toyo RA1's or Michelin PSCs...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
I did 2:35.4 or something like that in a stock Z06 w/ Cobalts & almost full tread Toyo's w/ a passenger... I don't think it was my best lap, just best timed lap. I think car should be good for 2:33's - 2:34's especially after I put in brake ducts and tires wore down more.

So there is a little more room, although I have better shocks ;).

Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
2:45 last fall in 50 degree weather with bone stock Z06. It took three laps of practice to get my old hard street tires up to temp.

I have been doing this event (CAROC) for several years now and anyone below 2:40 is usually in a modded car. Steve Melnick did 2:29 a few years ago with a DRM 500 running on slicks with Alcon brakes.

I think a lot depends on how quickly you go thru the kink... :eek2:

You were 2nd in ASR... that's not too shabby! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
99cobra said:
David or others -

Have you raced or lapped at Road America, if so what times did you get? I was a little disappointed in my 2:37 (best, during qualifying), 2:39/40 (consistent during race).

I'm still basically stock (exluding safety and heat management), except Toyo RA1's or Michelin PSCs...
99-
That isn't too far off pace, but down a little. My car is 369 RWHP and I can do pretty consistent 2:35's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mafia said:
I did 2:35.4 or something like that in a stock Z06 w/ Cobalts & almost full tread Toyo's w/ a passenger... I don't think it was my best lap, just best timed lap. I think car should be good for 2:33's - 2:34's especially after I put in brake ducts and tires wore down more.

So there is a little more room, although I have better shocks ;).

Drew
Howdy Drew.

You should start coming out and racing in ASR. You'd be competitive. All you need is the safety stuff. You saw my car, I haven't need to do much.

Not sure, but there may be a w to w drivers shool left. there's at least 4 races left...

Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UstaB-GS549 said:
I think a lot depends on how quickly you go thru the kink... :eek2:

You were 2nd in ASR... that's not too shabby! :cheers:
I appreciate the comment.

In terms of the kink, lets hear from people. Can anyone go thought with no brake, no lift? A small lift only? What?

I can lift (but it's more than just a quick breathe), or do a later quick stab on the brakes. I think no lift, no brake is possible in a close to stock Z06 with just some Toyos or so, but so far, I ain't there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
hey aaron!

I'm actually looking for a wheel 2 wheel car. dont want to put a cage in my car just yet. although i was surprised to find out how much some of the race cars go for that were comparable to my street car in pace!!

You have to brake for hte kink if you take carousel correctly. Tehre is no way a stock Z06 even on Toyos can go through the kink flat out. Maybe with some serious downforce, suspension work, and grippy tires it's possible but not in a stock car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
According to the HUD I'm going thru the carousel in the high 70's and hitting 120 plus or minus at the entrance to the kink. Big brake!

Speeds are probably reading a little high as I had 315-35/17 on back. Same O.D. as fronts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
I was there July 11-12 right after you with PCA Nord Stern from Minnesota. Based on my previous RA best of 2:45, they put me in Group 4, the fastest class. However, I was a little intimidated to say the least since I've been on a track only two times prior to this; also, there were 8 GT3's in the class to think about.

To make a long story short, it turned out well. After the tires warmed up the second session on Monday (..I was a nervous wreck the first one), I felt good and just tried to drive smooth. The payoff was during the second session on Tuesday when I did consistent low 2:36's with a best of 2:36:11. The third session I started out with a 2:40:xx, next lap a 2:37:00 and I felt in the groove; I knew I continued to improve the remainder of the session, but the timer messed up on me, grrrr!!! The next session was light rain, so I took it 'easy' and did 2:45's.

I passed plenty of GT3's, but a black one blew by me like I was standing still! Also, on the straights, the GT3's would slightly pull on me; man those are FAST cars!

This was the first time I ran DOT's (..V710's 275/315), and the rear finally hooked up after lowering the rear tire pressure to 28 psi cold on Tuesday morning (..started out with 32 on Monday; doh!). Other than CarboTech 9/8's, the car is completely stock, much to the amazement of several GT3 and BMW drivers who stopped by to see why the car was so fast; needless to say, that made me feel good, and I appreciated them coming over to chat about 'our' Z06.

Man, what a great car! :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UstaB-GS549 said:
According to the HUD I'm going thru the carousel in the high 70's and hitting 120 plus or minus at the entrance to the kink. Big brake!

Speeds are probably reading a little high as I had 315-35/17 on back. Same O.D. as fronts.
Yeah I'm at 80 in the carousel, I haven't noted speed before the kink, but maybe I should try what you seem to be doing: really hit that short straight long and hard, and brake hard for the kink. I've been more concentrating on carrying speed through. My exit speed from the kink is ~111-114
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SRV said:
I was there July 11-12 right after you with PCA Nord Stern from Minnesota. Based on my previous RA best of 2:45, they put me in Group 4, the fastest class. However, I was a little intimidated to say the least since I've been on a track only two times prior to this; also, there were 8 GT3's in the class to think about.

To make a long story short, it turned out well. After the tires warmed up the second session on Monday (..I was a nervous wreck the first one), I felt good and just tried to drive smooth. The payoff was during the second session on Tuesday when I did consistent low 2:36's with a best of 2:36:11. The third session I started out with a 2:40:xx, next lap a 2:37:00 and I felt in the groove; I knew I continued to improve the remainder of the session, but the timer messed up on me, grrrr!!! The next session was light rain, so I took it 'easy' and did 2:45's.

I passed plenty of GT3's, but a black one blew by me like I was standing still! Also, on the straights, the GT3's would slightly pull on me; man those are FAST cars!

This was the first time I ran DOT's (..V710's 275/315), and the rear finally hooked up after lowering the rear tire pressure to 28 psi cold on Tuesday morning (..started out with 32 on Monday; doh!). Other than CarboTech 9/8's, the car is completely stock, much to the amazement of several GT3 and BMW drivers who stopped by to see why the car was so fast; needless to say, that made me feel good, and I appreciated them coming over to chat about 'our' Z06.

Man, what a great car! :cheers:
Some interesting comments! I've run lapping days with PCA Milwaukee up there, and we can run with the GT3s. Kind of neat to stick with a $100k car in in $35-$40k car, huh?

Interesting you ran the V710s in those sizes. I just ordered my first set of Hoosiers for my next wheel to wheel race. I'm going with the 285 and 305 (all 30's).

I think I saw your car parked near the entrance when we left late Sunday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mafia said:
hey aaron!

I'm actually looking for a wheel 2 wheel car. dont want to put a cage in my car just yet.
All I've got is the bolt in (welded plates though) roll bar, with a custom removable door bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
My exit speed from the kink is ~111-114
Yikes! :jawdrop:

I typically over-slow the car going in, end up down shifting into 3rd and hitting the apex at 85-90 and accellerating. I think the car is up to 140 (4th gear near redline) or so going into Canada corner.

I'm looking forward to running on my new Kumho's this fall and hope the weather isn't horribly cold. I dunno if good tires are worth 10 seconds. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
UstaB-GS549 said:
I have been doing this event (CAROC) for several years now and anyone below 2:40 is usually in a modded car.
What is your definition of a modded car? Your statement got me thinking so I updated my sig with my list of mods. Technically my car is modded, but, compared to others, hardly so. So I'm wondering what the board consider a 'modded' car for road racing?

99cobra said:
In terms of the kink, lets hear from people. Can anyone go thought with no brake, no lift? A small lift only? What?

I can lift (but it's more than just a quick breathe), or do a later quick stab on the brakes. I think no lift, no brake is possible in a close to stock Z06 with just some Toyos or so, but so far, I ain't there.
From a newbie standpoint, I just made sure the chassis was fully settled before making the turn-in, so I essentially coasted/chickened into the Kink (..95-100 mph) after charging out of the apex of the Carousel. I'm still not quite sure what to do yet.

Mafia said:
You have to brake for hte kink if you take carousel correctly. Tehre is no way a stock Z06 even on Toyos can go through the kink flat out. Maybe with some serious downforce, suspension work, and grippy tires it's possible but not in a stock car.
99cobra said:
Yeah I'm at 80 in the carousel, I haven't noted speed before the kink, but maybe I should try what you seem to be doing: really hit that short straight long and hard, and brake hard for the kink. I've been more concentrating on carrying speed through. My exit speed from the kink is ~111-114
When I was running stock tires and alignment my first two times out, I was hitting the apex in the carousel at 83 mph. With the Kumho's and track alignment, I was able to hit the same point at 93 mph when running down the GT3's (..it felt good, but nonetheless I was white-knuckling the steering wheel!), and am at full throttle by the time I hit the turn-out. (..fourth gear entire Carousel and into the Kink).

I am not sure of my Carousel exit speed, but I chicken out and hit the Kink turn-in at 95-100 mph, and am again almost at full-throttle by the time I hit it's apex.

Afterwards, I chicken out once again, shift into 5th, and coast into the brake-point at Canada corner around 135-140mph; heavy braking, skip-shift to third for Canada Corner, accelerate hard out, shift to fourth before the following right-hander, roll-on, foot-to-the-floor all the way to Turn 14. Third gear to me is not worth the stress on the engine.

99cobra said:
Some interesting comments! I've run lapping days with PCA Milwaukee up there, and we can run with the GT3s.
I guess it all depends upon the group of drivers too. My buddy in his blue/gray Porsche 928 (..2:33.2) says this is the fastest DE group he's been in, and subsequently his favorite DE event by far.

Interesting you ran the V710s in those sizes. I just ordered my first set of Hoosiers for my next wheel to wheel race. I'm going with the 285 and 305 (all 30's).
In a post somewhere, DJ recommended 275/315 for 17" rims, so I went with them. I think Sub recommends that size too if I remember correctly.

I think I saw your car parked near the entrance when we left late Sunday.
Yep, that was my car. My buddy dropped his trailer, I left my car, and proceeded to the Osthoff.

BTW, have you guys tried 'Sal's' in Elkhart Lake? The blackened prime rib is out of this world. Not only that, they have Hacker-Pschorr Octoberfest on tap! :guiness: :guiness:

UstaB-GS549 said:
I'm looking forward to running on my new Kumho's this fall and hope the weather isn't horribly cold. I dunno if good tires are worth 10 seconds. :(
The way I look at it, you're going to burn a set of tires up anyway, so it may as well be track-rubber, thus saving the streets for the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
891 Posts
SRV:

Everyone has a different opinion on what stock is. Yours looks like it has a lot of little tweaks done to it.

Mine isn't quite 100% stock either but close: Alignment, XP9/XP8 pads, 17x9.5 & 17x11 Grand Sport wheels. I would consider cars with lighter wheels and R-compound tires modded. Just those two items are usually a huge advantage... 2 -3 seconds at Blackhawk.

I had a 96 GS and wanted to remain in the MCSCC timetrials X-Stock class so ran on KD tires to be competitive. I read the rule book and bought a car that made winning easier.

I still had the GS wheels & KD tires when I bought the Z06 and was just being cheap my first season in the new car. The Z06 is classed in Y-Prepared no matter whether your tires are OEM or R compound.

The way I look at it, you're going to burn a set of tires up anyway, so it may as well be track-rubber, thus saving the streets for the street.
You are probably right. I really enjoy R-compound tires a lot more. Especially when you compare that to old street tires that have a lot of heat cycles in them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SRV said:
Yep, that was my car. My buddy dropped his trailer, I left my car, and proceeded to the Osthoff.

BTW, have you guys tried 'Sal's' in Elkhart Lake? The blackened prime rib is out of this world. Not only that, they have Hacker-Pschorr Octoberfest on tap! :guiness: :guiness:

Yeah we ate at Sals, and stayed at the Osthoff, too. Life's tough, huh? :D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top