Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you guys recommend for an impovment over the stock suspension? I do about 6 HPDE events per year and would like to improve on the stock suspension. I was originaly considering a T1 set up but have been told there are better options out there. Also can anyone recommend a good shop in or around columbus Ohio to do the install and set up the car. Thanks for the help,Buzz

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Look under the racing section and some of DJ Worm's posts.
Basically go with some toyo Ra1's and maybe some penske shocks and you will get a huge gain with little invested and still solid streetability.

Don't expect T1 levels but it doesn't sound like you are towing and going to run the tires they do either.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Race tires
Hawk Hps_ or better brake pads
DRM ducts and Phoenix spindel ducts
Race alignment - Will wear on the street badly
Race Seat and belts
Oil Cooler
T1 Bars
04 or better shocks
Controversy here, but lower on stock bolts, do not cut.
Seat time, Seat time , Seat time, Seat time, Seat time.

I see Cars like the above running with T1 cars out here. Did I mention Seat Time:).

Let a fast driver drive your car. Get his lap time, when you can beat it you need more go fast stuff.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
How much are you willing to spend? First things first, stock brake pads, brake fluid, and shocks need to go. Koni's for about a grand, Penskes for about two grand plus in the shock department. Then you can move up from there. Need more input from you though....

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You will have to decide a couple things:
1. How serious do you want to get?
2. How far to lower the car
3. If it is going to stay a dual use car
4. Will you be bound by T1 rules? (Are you going T1 racing?)

Answered in reverse order:
If you are going T1 racing then the car has to be prepared strickly to those rules. The Chevy T1 suspension is allowed and recommended.
However the T1 suspension package:
1. Was engineered to upgrade a C5 Corvette for the track (not necessarily a Z06). However all of the top T1 drivers use the package.
2. Is a LIMITING Rule in SCCA Stock class (ie. "You can do THIS but NO more.")
3. There are better componants available than the T1 package.

If it is not a dedicated race car you are probably using it as a daily driver at least in the Summer. Dual Use cars present unique problems as there are NOT really any compromise setups which enhance street and track use.

Lowering the car does help a stock suspension and T1 suspension some what. Lowering further than factory recommendations and than OEM bolts allow helps the handling emmensley; IF you use aftermarket componants. So you need to decide how far you want to lower. IMHO, if not bound by T1 rules, lower is better as the CG and roll center get lower.

If you are running 6 DE's per year you are pretty serious and will definetly benefit from some upgrades. Besides the suspension you should also consider upgrading the brakes. You will find that as the car handles and brakes better you will concentrate more on driving the car and will be more successful and will want to do more.

So that's the decision algorhthym. I will follow in the next post with specific componant recommendations including:
Tires, Wheels, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Rod Ends, Bushings, Lowering, Alignment, Brakes etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts