Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once I have it broken in, I am taking my car up to Summit Point Raceway for some track time. This is a 2 mile, 10 turn road course. I ran my 'stang with R-1's on it and need info for the Z06.

Does anyone have any experience with the GY formula 1 tires in terms of wear and handling?

Does anyone run a 17" wheel/tire combo on the track? If so, which wheels and tires?

Would the additional flex of the added sidewall of a 17" tire ( assuming the 17" has a less steep aspect ratio to maintain height) help or harm handling?

Any suggestions for a reasonably priced wheel/tire combo?

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ran my Z06 at VIR (in the rain) and Summit Point (Jefferson Circuit). That and 13000 miles are about to make me get new tires.

They work great, I might look into Kumho's though. Primarily for the lower price although additional traction wouldn't hurt. Most everyone I have seen at track events either runs stock Z06 wheels and tires or 17's with Kumho's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
The Grand Sport wheels are ideal for the Z06. A friend of mine has them and an extra set of Z06 wheels. He runs the Kumho's on the 17's and Hoosiers on the Z06. Both hook up very well, but the Kumho's are considerably less expensive (cheaper!!!!).

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Hoosier makes a road race compound that will fit stock Z06 rims. If you are going to get a second set of Z06 rims, go with 18 inch rims all- around. That's what Doug Rippie recommends.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you want to use 17's all the way around... the GS Rears with 17 X 9.5 Fronts will work well. And Kumho's definitely are the right financial choice, to just play with on the track.

Another hot setup would be say 17 X 10's in the Front with 275/40/17's (The new Kumho Ecsta Road Race Tire) And a set of 17 X 11.5 or 12's in the rear with the all new Kumho 335/35/17's!

If using the stock wheel sizes, I use the Circle Racing wheels... they are a few lbs lighter than stock... then I use Kumho's on the front and the Hoosier 305/30/18 on the rear (Since Kumho doesn't make that size yet!)

Enjoy!!

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
gs wheel do not take full advantage of the clearences available on a c-5, there is an additional inch of room to the inside on the rear wheel wells. this allows a 12" wide rear wheel to use up to a 335 tire. custom made race wheels can be had for 17-1800 for the set in most any width or offsett in 17 or 18"

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Welcome Aboard

RaceWheel,

Welcome aboard, Great folks and lotsa info here. Enjoy..............................

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
So you mix the hoosiers and the kumho's. How does that work??
I might go with Kumho's all a round for a full time tire. I only drive pretty much to track events in the car so with kumho's this used to be fine.
Don't know about Hoosiers with that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yup... I run Kumho front, Hoosier Rear. However that is because I race in Super Stock for SCCA Solo 2... and you must run stock wheel sizes. For SCCA T1... the racers can choose to run Grand Sport (17 X11) rears instead of the 18's... so Other tire companies can play! ;) Hoosier unfortunately is the only one who makes an 18... at that time...

Kumho's is coming soon... but the 285 (the current new Kumho, isn't enough, they will be doing a 305 very shortly)

Kumho's are definitely a great tire driven on the street to the track! You won't have any issues!!

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
117 Posts
Dave Schotz said:
Hoosier unfortunately is the only one who makes an 18... at that time...

Kumho's is coming soon... but the 285 (the current new Kumho, isn't enough, they will be doing a 305 very shortly)

Dave
Is Kumho releasing this new 305 in 17 or 18 inch?

If it is an 18 will it fit on the stock Z06 rears?

Also, which of their 17's is more suitable for the Z06 fronts, the
255/40ZR17 or the 275/40ZR17 ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I hate buying new tires and also new rims that are heavier than my stock ones (GS compared to ZO6).
When is it expected about the kumho's with the correct 18 inch.
On a road course how have you seen (or autocross also) the combination of two dirfferent kinds of tires front to rear?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Reply to MJM

The New 305 will be in the 18" Size.

They currently have a 285/30/18, (The biggest 18 they offer)

The biggest 17 they have is a 335/35/17

The 275/40/17 is much more suitable for the Fronts on the Z-06.

Reply to Silver Bullet

I run the Kumho's up Front, and the Hoosiers in the rear. Primarily because Kumho does not have a proper Rear Size yet. The difference in Auto/x or Road Racing would be your first minute or so... the Hoosier does not come up to Temp as quickly as the Kumho.

As for an expected release date of the 305 (Meaning the proper size in my opinion) We would be lucky to see it by the middle of '02!

Also... as for Weight savings... Buy a set of Circle Racing wheels from www.ontrackproducts.com to save the weight, and the New Kumho's are within 1 lb of the Hoosiers! ;)

Peace,

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Goodyear has just come out with "R" compound tires in the Z06 sizes (265/295). According to one of there tire engineers, he used the Kumho as the base line and made the compound as close to it as they could.

He had them on at an aurocross in Akron and his times in his 2000 vert were about the same as mine were on Hoosiers.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Does tirerack carry the Goodyear R's??
Wonder how those handle??
Currently, in my experience, hoosiers are best for time. Kumho's a little slower but more predicatble and wear well and are cheap!! Very very cheap!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't think they do, I believe Penske Tire and anyone who carries Goodyear racing tires do. I am not familiar with their new compound, but the old "R" compounds were not as good as Kuhmos but lasted just as long or longer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gordy M said:
Goodyear has just come out with "R" compound tires in the Z06 sizes (265/295). According to one of there tire engineers, he used the Kumho as the base line and made the compound as close to it as they could.

He had them on at an aurocross in Akron and his times in his 2000 vert were about the same as mine were on Hoosiers.
This is the first I have heard of these.

What is the exact name for these tires, where can I get them, and how much$ ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I run Kinesis wheels - 17 x 10s on the front and 17 x 11 rear with the 315 Kumho tires all around. If you plan to run SCCA T1, that seems to be a popular set up. It may also be legal to run 335s in the back, but I'm still looking into that one...and will probably require a spacer in the back to clear the wheel wells. Go to www.tracktapes.com if you want to see a good picture.

Good luck and have fun!

:z:

·
Registered
262 Posts
That is a nice surprise about the Goodyear R. I did not know that was in the making. I would like to see some more info. on them and availability.:cheers:

JOSE

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I wonder price wise how they stack up?? as well as performance wise??
How much tread depth do they come with??
Anyone with any experience with these?
I personally still favor kumho's but can't really wait till middle of next year.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts