Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my god, that thing kicks ass. It is a totally different accelaration than my 01 Z06.

Different because it didn't take off like the Vette, it started off mild and then like .5 second later I was plastered in my seat. I mean I lost my stomach every single time he gunned it. It is that fast. As where the Vette takes off immediately and stays accelarating quickly and steadily to redline, the Porche starts off kind of sluggish and then the turbo's kick in and it is all over with.

I don't know if it is the Turbos or what but 385 HP and 385 LB of torque is way different than 415 HP and 415 LB of torque. If I could afford a 911 Turbo I would have one.

Don't get me wrong I love my Z06 and nothing touches the body style of the Vette, but those Porcvhe 911 Turbos are one awesome machine.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Maybe it was the all-wheel drive that was giving you the different sensation of acceleration.

Cars are fun :)

Competition among manufacturers makes them all better :D

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think the 911TT feels different because at has a very flat torque curve and much higher low-end torque than the Z06. But interestingly, it couldn't beat the 2002 Z06 in the latest C&D shootout. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
223 Posts
I drove a friend's '01 twin turbo, in the wet, also got a rush...awesome machine even with the Tip...felt like I couldn't get it to spin...but, as others have observed, the Z06/911TT C&D shootout at MIS was revealing: Porsche is +>300lbs heavier (delta=FWD?), less efficient aerodynamically, and less g on the skidpad...but, you gotta love that paint, but, at over 2X the cost of a Z06...I told him to trade it for the GT2!:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
God I would love to ride in one of those things. But I dont have any friends who can afford one. :eek:

It is fun to ride in different performance cars. I drove a 91 RT/10 Viper and that thing pulled like a freight train. Also rode in one of the 8 DRM Black Widow ZR-1's. 500+ Hp, coilovers, lightned flywheel etc. Made my stock ZR-1 feel like a Chevette . Fastest car I ever rode in....:eek:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually, the 911TT does not have the low-end torque of the Z06. Yes, it's torque curve peaks early (2700 rpm, thanks to the turbos running at full boost by then), but up to that point the torque is on a steep ascent, unlike the prairie flat output of a healthy V8. This is why from a rolling start like 5-60 mph, the Z06 will have the edge (C/D's results: 4.9 seconds for the Z vs. 5.2 for the turbo).

Another point: Ever noticed how much faster your car seems when you have someone else put it through its paces with you as the passenger? :D

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Also a new car will do this. By new I mean new to you. If you've had your Z for over 6 mo, you get used to the feeling and the car seems "slower". But give someone else a ride and it scares the crap out of them.......Weird. It's all perception.

FWIW, up to 135+-, I pulled about 1 carlength from a 10mph rolling start against an 01 911TT with my Halltech equipped 01, but then maybe he couldn't drive for shite :)

JC

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have several customers that have 01' twin turbos and they are a blast to drive, I had a 96' twin turbo with "some things" done to it and my car flew, but as most of you know I get tried of things real quick and sold it for a 550 Ferrari, now I should have kept that car, but I should have a "surprise" but it will not be for 2 years. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
My license plate on my 02 Z06 says it all " 911EATR"

·
Registered
223 Posts
xmuni said:
My license plate on my 02 Z06 says it all " 911EATR"
I love it...cheers, xmuni:guiness:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a lot of respect for those Porsches after running at several porsche club track days at my local road course. Never ridden in a new turbo but I have ridden in a couple older ones that were modded up a lot. Those things would anialate my LT4 down the straight:eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts