Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started doing a couple a solo events and would like to install a roll bar, but I don't want to install something that is going to tear up the interior of the car. Has anyone done this? I wont say cost is not a factor but I'd rather pay more for less interior tearup. SCCA complient is also a must.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Best roll bar (4 point) that I have seen is by Mallett. However if you are putting it in for safety and stiffness, "weld in" is the only way to go; but you must pull out the interior to do it. Interior goes right back in with only minor mods and job is very professional. Around $4,500! There are others cheaper, but none as good for safety and stiffness. How much is your head worth?. This would be thw ultimate set up for Solo I.
You can get away with just a harness bar in Solo II. Brey Krause makes a good one. If your going SCCA T1 or GT1 you must have a cage (6 point).

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I agree weld in is a must since it really helps stiffen up the chassis.
I have used DRM bars but they were not solo1 legal. I switched to autpower bars because you can get a lighter weight bar that is till legal.
Fit was good.
Unless you run solo1 though I would just get a bolt in harness bar.
As well as you can install it the interior is never the same regardless of how great a job you do.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I have a DRM bar ordered. 2 buds have them and with some care you can cut the carpet and make a good job. One thing I havent figured out is the mounting brackets for the side belts. Anyone know where to get brackets and do they go on the bolts for the factory seatbelts? On the C4 the bolts were exposed, now they are covered up.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Here's one that was on a forum recently:

http://www.msfabrication.com/C5.htm

Looks clean.

The DRM Rollbar:
http://www.geocities.com/doctaboxsta/Z06_DRM_Rollbar.html
looks nice but the first link looks cleaner.

Don
QSZ06

On 2001-08-03 00:09, ELF Z06 spewed forth this drivel:
Just started doing a couple a solo events and would like to install a roll bar, but I don't want to install something that is going to tear up the interior of the car. Has anyone done this? I wont say cost is not a factor but I'd rather pay more for less interior tearup. SCCA complient is also a must.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The above pics of the DRM bar look crude because of no finish on the bar. I have ordered a DRM bar with matte-finish powder coating. It should blend in well with the black interior.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Be very very aware those bars weren't Solo1 legal!!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I discovered the hard way in my 1990 and had to replace it with an autopower bar!!!
Don't even want to talk about money wasted.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Which bars are you referring to? The DRM or the other?

Don
QSZ06

On 2001-08-06 17:32, Silver Bullet spewed forth this drivel:
Be very very aware those bars weren't Solo1 legal!!!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

I discovered the hard way in my 1990 and had to replace it with an autopower bar!!!
Don't even want to talk about money wasted.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The DRM bar was illegal!!!
Check a recent rule book because I think solo1 bar minimums just got even larger. Autpower is by far the best to go through if you want lightest and most upto date legal bar.
DRM (I love these guys so don't misunderstand me) even say there bars may or may not be legal.
Trust me Check!!!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would love to swap out my harness bar for a roll bar that did not destroy the utility and looks of the interior of my Z06. I have not seen that beast yet.

Rupert Bragg-Smith has a nice setup in his T1 Z but I do not recall what it was or who did it.

·
Registered
695 Posts
MAKO--Tell me about your harness bar please.
Where to buy?
Cam corder mount?
Harness type you are using.
Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts