Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advise on roll bars, or cages. I know nothing on the subject and was wondering if anyone has some knowledge they could share? What type? Pros, cons? Cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Try the Advanced Search. Type in Roll Bars. Some good info. I am installing a DRM ($500.00).Out at the Powder Coater's (still).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Depends on what you want to do....

.... by this I mean what type of competition you plan on engaginging in and what sanctioning body you plan on competing with.

You can install a Harness Bar, Roll Bar, or Roll cage, They can be bolt in, bolt on or welded in. Harness bars can be Aluminum, Steel or Titanium; Roll Bars and Cages can be Mild Steel or Chrome Moly,. Diameter and Wall thickness mater as do the type of welds and number of bends. Price range is from around $200 for a harness bar to $4000 for a welded in custom Cage.

Generally nothing is required for Autocross but many have installed harness bars as a convienient method of attatching the racing harness belts. It may also serve tacitly as a chassis stiffener.
For Solo I events where you are on the track by yourself a good roll bar is recommended.
For Full race conditions against other cars on the track at the same time with some "banging" and "rubbing" going on a full cage is mandatory.

Be aware that a full cage as well as a welded in roll bar in a basically "stock" car would dissqualify you from participating in the Stock Class in Autocross. You would be bumped up to "Modified" and be racing against fully modified purpose built race cars.

For a Harness Bar I like the Brey Krause

For a roll bar I would contact
Doug Rippie

For a roll cage I would go with an AutoPower from IO Port Racing

For installation I would have Rippie or Mallet install a welded in cage.

Above all I would first check with the sanctioning body and check the rule book.

Also see my References in Tech Tips

·
Registered
105 Posts
DJWorm; WOW!! I can't see any reason that any sanction race orginazition would even think of not allowing SAFETY in any form, as not to allow a "stock" car run in a stock class with a roll bar. That is totally obsurd and stupid on the race orginazition's part! For a fast car on the street I'd recomend a good bar. I saw two after-the-fact accidents where a good 6 point cage was all that saved the drivers life as the car and bar were all bent up BAD.:cheers: And a SAFE New year to all Z06ers.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
The problem is not so much....

....what sanctioning body or what type of racing you are going to do. However it becomes a problem (financially) if you get the wrong bar to begin with. Also if the car is used in 2 different classes or 2 different sanctioning bodies or 2 different types of racing.

For example a good harness bar is OK for SCCA AutoX but I can not run some other sanctioning bodies Solo I (on the track) without a roll bar.

I can install a welded in bar and be legal for Solo I but would not be legal in AutoX.

I can however use a bolted in 4 point roll bar in Solo I and AutoX.

Although the 4 point bar is OK for Solo I on the track it is not qualified for SCCA Club Racing. For that I need a welded in Roll Cage (roll bar with 6 points or more). If I put in a 6 pointor 8 point cage I can run Club and Solo I but not in the Stock classes for AutoX.

Most AutoX see the welded in Roll Bar/Cage as not only a safety device but a chassis stiffener and thus a performance enhancer.
On the other side of the coin if your swapping paint with somebody at 120 MPH a harness bar is totally inadequate.

It all depends if its a low speed AutoX or a highspeed racing condition against other cars.

The SCCA GCR's (General Competition Rules) contain 20 pages on roll bar/cage specification, fabrication and driver restraints. Its a complicated matter.

It would bw OK to install a $300 dollar harness bar, race for a season then decide you want to move on to bigger and better things, scrap the harness bar and put in a welded cage.

It would not be OK to put in a $4000 welded cage and then have it not pass tech because it is the wrong material or too thin walled to meet the specs.

Its a good thing to be safe. But doing it correctly the first time is easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
DJ,

Do you know what the NHRA requires for a roll bar when you're running in the 11's?

Would the DRM Roll Bar meet their requirement??

Thanks,
Barrie

·
Registered
105 Posts
The NHRA will require you to have at the minimum a 5 point roll cage in your car if you go better than 12.00. And if you go into the 10s or 9s then 6 point then an 8 point then 10 point on and on the faster you go!
I'm looking for a real nice 6 point cage to weld in for my Z as it should be in the mid 11s?????:cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts