Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am thinking about adding a roll cage to my vette, any brand suggestions or where I should go to have it installed?

Are some safer than others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
I have a wolfe 6 pt & believe it's a pretty nice piece. There are much better/safer but they get expensive & the install is major surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,851 Posts
KCMAGS said:
I have a wolfe 6 pt & believe it's a pretty nice piece. There are much better/safer but they get expensive & the install is major surgery.

Yes...more expensive, but really safe. And yes, major "surgery" :yeadog: as I have just had an ECS custom cage put in my car. But, I couldn't be happier with the fit. :thumb:

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the link.

looks like the interior needs to come out and some welding done-DOES look like major surgery.

I would need to find a shop to do the work for sure

does that side bar come out easily for street driving?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
299 Posts
The question is "why do you want a cage" If the answer is because I might need one save my life then get a good one. Curt at Phoenix does a really great job. They fit well, look great and function the way you would want it to. The NASCAR bars they put in don't come out as far I know, but call them and find out what they can do for you. They are not that far from your address. You can always go off to Summit Point and look at there stuff. Most all of the T1 cars are using Phoenix.
Tony #54
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ELF Z06 said:
The question is "why do you want a cage" If the answer is because I might need one save my life then get a good one. Curt at Phoenix does a really great job. They fit well, look great and function the way you would want it to. The NASCAR bars they put in don't come out as far I know, but call them and find out what they can do for you. They are not that far from your address. You can always go off to Summit Point and look at there stuff. Most all of the T1 cars are using Phoenix.
Tony #54
for safety on the track, but my vette is also driven on the street

do people put them in for other reasons???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,905 Posts
Even though it is major surgery. If it is done right people won't even notice it's in there. Ours has the removable side bar for daily driving :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Kat said:
Even though it is major surgery. If it is done right people won't even notice it's in there. Ours has the removable side bar for daily driving :thumb:
Same set-up I have. :jammin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,231 Posts
Leslie, The Wolfe Roll Bars I believe are specifically designed for 1/4 racing. As I am told, the are not approved for road racing. The SCCA has much different rules than NHRA.

Wolfe's bolt is not approved for anything, unless the 2 rear bars are welded to the hoop.

Been researching this myself for the past year.

Had a roll cage in my Buick and it was a PAI. (It was 9 point with a front hoop.)

Thing I did not care for with the Wolfe was the rear hoop bolts to the floor. To me, if the car flips the bar can go right through the balsa wood floor eliminating the protection it was designed for.

I Did some looking around and I think the best thing to do is find a chassis shop and just have a custom one installed.

I like the Idea of having the rear hoop welded to the rear hump behind the seats much more ridged than bolting to the balsa wood floor.

I think many folks get the bolt ins to sneak past the tech at 1/4 mile tracks. ( I know, I did it before I got a real roll cage in my Buick back in 1987 -1988.)

If you get something, get chromoly, not mild steel.


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,563 Posts
Leslie,
Phoenix hand crafts their cages and can probably install whatever you want. As they are a forum vendor as well, I'd suggest you at least call them and discuss options and use them as a benchmark against what to measure.

Several other forum members have Phoenix cages in their cars and they do drive them on the street. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
I did a lot of cage investigation, and then decided to go with a roll bar (Kirk) and add a custom door bar. This meets the requirements of the wheel to wheel series I'm going to do (Midwest Council ASR), and is safe, and is reversible (outside of weld in plates, that bar bolts to, and I don't have to gut the interior.

But, a total cage is the ultimate in safety. You need to majorly impact your interior, though.

The best cage (and is costs it) I found was JP Racing. Totally awesome cage, although I didn't go with it. See his site...Jaymz (member) has one. :jammin:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,475 Posts
Don Benson said:
Yes...more expensive, but really safe. And yes, major "surgery" :yeadog: as I have just had an ECS custom cage put in my car. But, I couldn't be happier with the fit. :thumb:

Don
Don,
Any pics available of your set-up? If so, post 'em up or email them to me when you have time. TIA, Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
99cobra said:
I did a lot of cage investigation, and then decided to go with a roll bar (Kirk) and add a custom door bar. This meets the requirements of the wheel to wheel series I'm going to do (Midwest Council ASR), and is safe, and is reversible (outside of weld in plates, that bar bolts to, and I don't have to gut the interior.

But, a total cage is the ultimate in safety. You need to majorly impact your interior, though.

The best cage (and is costs it) I found was JP Racing. Totally awesome cage, although I didn't go with it. See his site...Jaymz (member) has one. :jammin:
your setup sounds good, although the full cage sounds awsome.

I am running advanced group in most of my HPDE's now and at speeds >135mph, have gotten to the point of stepping up the safety
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
Leslie this is a full custom 6 point that is welded directly to the frame of my coupe. These pics should give you a little idea of whats involved and how it looks. My bar is built for drag racing and i'm sure what you need will be slightly different.







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
16again-wow that IS major surgery!

thanks for the pics-will that setup work for high speed also, or is it just for drag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,165 Posts
blkZ06 said:
16again-wow that IS major surgery!

thanks for the pics-will that setup work for high speed also, or is it just for drag?
My set-up is for drag racing. I am not familiar with SCCA racing safety rules so you will have to do a little leg work there. As the guy's on page 1 said get a reputable builder to fabricate a CROMOLY bar based on the rules for the type of racing you intend to do and have it welded into your car NOT BOLTED!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeh that makes sense to me-especially if I go with ECS or Phoenix, they will know the SCCA specs and will weld vs bolt I would think.

thanks again for the pics-your finished look is awsome, it would be great to run and have the full cage:thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top