Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a heads up to anyone who is considering upgrading their rocker arms in the future. Comp (as in CompCams, etc) has developed new shaft mounted roller rockers for our engines that appear to be every bit as good as the one made by Jessel but costing approx $600 less.

Should be worth checking out first if new rockers are in your future.

Mike
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jub jub said:
I was thinking of new rockers to see if it would quiet the valve train . Thanks for the heads up Mike.
jub, we did quite a bit of research on these when we considered going to the Jessel rockers and we talked to the Comp people about this on a several occassions as well. Comp actually changed the materials they were using before they sent mine out because they found something even stronger. Mine came in last week and I was very impressed with their quality.
The shaft mounting is very important in my situation because the 'bar' that the rockers are mounted on in stock heads looks kinda flimsy and I don't feel comfortable knowing what would happen if the bar cracks or breaks.

Mike
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,354 Posts
Sounds like a strong set-up. I'm assuming the rocker covers need to be machined or replaced with C5R type for clearance?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jub jub said:
Sounds like a strong set-up. I'm assuming the rocker covers need to be machined or replaced with C5R type for clearance?
Don't think so jub, but my tuner put in the order and I know he discussed this with Comp. May have just required a different part number, I'm really not sure.

Mike
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,354 Posts
That's cool. That was one reason I've been hesitant to get new rockers, or at least the adjustables. It seemed they all needed to have some sort of machine work done to the rocker covers. I guess I'll give Comp a call and see how much I can steal them for. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
jub jub said:
That's cool. That was one reason I've been hesitant to get new rockers, or at least the adjustables. It seemed they all needed to have some sort of machine work done to the rocker covers. I guess I'll give Comp a call and see how much I can steal them for. :D
It is my understanding as well as my experience that when you change to these style rockers that you need to change the valve covers and relocate the coil packs as I did. If anyone would like to host more photos of my motor other than the one below I would be more than happy to share them. Mario :cheers:
http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/1804Atco3.jpg
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,354 Posts


That's a nice looking set-up Mario. One question though, it appears as if the spark plug wires are stretched to their limit. Is that the case?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
596 Posts
jub jub said:


That's a nice looking set-up Mario. One question though, it appears as if the spark plug wires are stretched to their limit. Is that the case?
Not at all. They have very little slack so they won't touch the headers but the boots are flexible and there is just enough slack to prevent them from cracking. They are custom tailored wires so you would have to measure them according to your setup.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Antivenom 447 said:
It is my understanding as well as my experience that when you change to these style rockers that you need to change the valve covers and relocate the coil packs as I did. If anyone would like to host more photos of my motor other than the one below I would be more than happy to share them. Mario :cheers:
http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/1804Atco3.jpg
Mario, you are correct bro.

The new roller rockers do require either removing the baffles (I'd rather not do that...increases the chances of an oil leak), spacers, or new valve covers.

I think I'm either going to do the spacers or possibly the C5-R covers from Chevy.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
21,354 Posts
MikesZ06 said:
Mario, you are correct bro.

The new roller rockers do require either removing the baffles (I'd rather not do that...increases the chances of an oil leak), spacers, or new valve covers.

I think I'm either going to do the spacers or possibly the C5-R covers from Chevy.

Thanks for the heads up!

Mike

C5R valve covers look pretty good so it looks like a worth while mod considering the benefits of the shaft mounted rockers. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Do they have needle bearings or composite bushings?
On just back and forth motion, needle bearings aren't the best as they get worn on the top three needles and get flat spots. Then they break apart into small pieces and then we know what happens
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
22655TD said:
Do they have needle bearings or composite bushings?
On just back and forth motion, needle bearings aren't the best as they get worn on the top three needles and get flat spots. Then they break apart into small pieces and then we know what happens
Here's what Comp has to say about the Pro Magnum's I bought.....


The unique design of the Pro Magnum Rocker™ enables us to use a larger trunion with more needle bearings. This spreads the load more evenly and the rocker will last longer. Other features include an integral pushrod seat that insures accuracy and saves weight, a unique rocker design also provides plenty of clearance for most high performance valve springs.
Mike
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top