Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ron, I really liked the way your harnesses fit and as you probably saw, there is a thread on the Sparcos and BK bar going on.

Can you give us some more info on your setup?

Thanks,

JC

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:lol: :lol:

The smilies are for Frank :)

Thanks Ron, you have any details? Like will they attach to the BK, are they bolt in, or does it require cutting or anything?

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:
:lol: :lol:

The smilies are for Frank :)

Thanks Ron, you have any details? Like will they attach to the BK, are they bolt in, or does it require cutting or anything?

JC
Hey JC,

I'm not Ron, but I think I can help a little. As long as you have the components (individual belts) to make up a 6-point harness to be fitted to the BK hardware, you can probably fit any brand of harness in the car.

Even my Sparco belts came with a "bolt-in" set-up. I believe that might be a standard. What I had to do was get "clip-in" clips and slide the belts out of the bolt-on buckles and feed them back through the clip-in clips. The shoulder harnesses merely wrap around (and then feed through a tightening buckle) the BK bar. The other belts just clip in.

You know those shackle thingies that mountain climbers use to to run repelling ropes and harnesses through? They look like a "D" but the flat part of the "D" is hinged and spring-loaded such that it only folds inward? Well, the clips are similar in theory and use to them.

You should be able to put just about any brand belt in your car.

-Kirk

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kirk, thanks for your insight, but forgive my ignorance on this subject, would you be willing to show us the attachments and how it all works?

Thanks, great info!

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:
Kirk, thanks for your insight, but forgive my ignorance on this subject, would you be willing to show us the attachments and how it all works?

Thanks, great info!

JC
Check your mail, JC! You've got some close up pics of the belt connections waiting for you, both to the bar and to the lap belt mounts.

If you can shoot some URLs back to me, I'll post a thread with the pics in it.

Thanks!

-Kirk

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here you go:

To be very honest, I don't like this setup anymore :(

Without the pics I would have gone for it but maybe I'm still missing something.

I'm gonna call Rippie right now anf get the skinny on his setup.....

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:
To be very honest, I don't like this setup anymore :(

Without the pics I would have gone for it but maybe I'm still missing something.
Yipes! What don't you like about it, JC? (Hell, you don't HAVE to like it -- I'm just wondering what you no long like about it.) What do you think you're missing? Just ask (or tell), and I'll try to help you out.

Thanks MUCH for posting those pics!

-Kirk

·
Registered
765 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are too many other options for a belt setup in the Vette that retain the stock restraints. Sure you can buy different brands of belts and different brands of harness bars, but they all work and install the same.:-?

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Updated......

Don't take that post the wrong way, I just don't like the way its all "exposed". Personal taste.....

I just got off the phone with Peter at DRM and their setup is $495 for the bar (theirs is a combo rollbar and harness bar, flat black, looks REAL nice) BUT you have to cut holes and weld it. Big disadvantage. Probably a dealbreaker in my case, but it looks awesome installed in Ron Marks car, plus it allows the harnesses to be hidden a little better.

JC

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
JC, real men have welded roll bars :eek: Frank was such a man, he didn't even use the harnesses. :lol:

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do, but there seem to be 3 options.

1. DRM Roll/Harnessbar and choice of harnesses
Looks great, gives rollover protection and hides belts better.
Disadvantages, cost, $1400 installed and cutting/welding

2. BK Bar and choice of harnesses
No cutting or welding
Looks somewhat "unfinished", components exposed

3. Breathless setup and choice of harnesses
No cutting/welding looks finished, belts able to be hidden :)
Uses the seat bolts for lower belts which seems to be cleaner.
Seats have to be removed.

I think I'm going to go with the Breathless kit with Crow harnesses @ ~$600

Hang in there, more info to come.....

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:
Don't take that post the wrong way, I just don't like the way its all "exposed". Personal taste.....
LOL!!! You're killing me here, JC! :lol:

I just have to say the following, and that'll be it:

1) You're not going to hurt my feelings or anything if the set-up isn't to your taste
2) I think that if you think that this set-up is too "exposed," then you probably really DON'T want harnesses (kind of like saying you want chrome wheels, but don't like shiny silver-looking ones... ;).

Tell you what -- I'll take a picture of the interior with the belts unclipped from the car. Then, you can see if they're too exposed. ;)

-Kirk

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, what I'm saying is that I don't like all the attaching hardware exposed.

Look:

That's Breathless's setup.....see how there is nothing near the existing belts?

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
N4C5S said:

3. Breathless setup and choice of harnesses
No cutting/welding looks finished, belts able to be hidden :)
Uses the seat bolts for lower belts which seems to be cleaner.
Seats have to be removed.
Hmm... BK puts the lap belts right next to the factory seat belts.. Maybe GM screwed up by not mounting the factory seat belts on the seat rails behind the seats like Breathless.. :eek: :D :lol:

I guess I'm just still missing the "finished" thing and the "hidden" thing. :)

Good luck! :cheers:

-Kirk

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is what I mean by "exposed": all the hardware.

No, GM did not make a mistake, nor did Breathless have a "better" idea. It's just that by mounting below the seat rather than to the side, its a less cluttered look. Disadvantage? Yes, the belts cannot be removed easily.

However, and Jason, this will answer your question too, they can all be tucked completely BEHIND the seat out of view. But there are no clips like the Sparcos, they are bolted in using the seat bolts.

JC

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
mrdatalife said:

jc...does the breathless belts un-clip when not in use?? like the sparco harness?

-jason
Hey Jason,

Even my Sparco's came with bolt-in ends. I pulled them off, and fed the belts through clip-in ends. I'm sure you could add the clip-ins to just about any belt set-up.

It looks to me (from what I'm seeing and reading here) that the Breathless set-up is a bolt-in set up, and that JC (or others) will have to wedge the belts behind the seat if he wants them out of the way. If the Breathless set-up has clip-in mounts that bolt to the seat rails, then he could unclip the belts to remove them. I'd think that this ISN'T the case if the mounting point for the lap belts are somewhere where it's difficult to unclip them (behind the seat on the floor).

-Kirk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts