Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What temperature do the rotors on a Z06 reach (both non-track use and track use)? ...in excess of 900 degrees?

The reason I ask is I'm painting the center hub of some new rotors I bought and I have 3 different temperature paints; 900, 1200, and 2000 degree paints. The 900 said it was for rotors, drums, and calipers. The 1200 and 2000 degree paints are for headers. I felt the 900 degree paint seemed a little low for rotors.

I'm not sure if I'll ever take my Z to a track but I don't want to have any issues with street driving in the summer.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
On a track on R compound tires I believe the pads are well north of 900 degrees. I have never put a temp gun on a rotor though, sorry.

Last season I ran Carbotech XP10 front, XP9 rear. For my next race at Memphis on March 19-20, I'll be trying the new XP11 front, and switching to XP10 rear.

Temp ratings for these pads:
XP11: Isn't listed yet
XP10: 1600+ F
XP9: 1400+ F

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My gun goes to 750' and it is easily that. Even moving in towards the center of the hub was way over 500. I forgot exactly but I know anything below that would not have phased me. Mine get red hot and I was told that means 1400 degress. That's with cooling ducts into the rotor. You want your pads about 450. I bought some Alcon brake tape tabs. You put them on the rotors and they tell you the temp.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I ask is I'm painting the center hub of some new rotors I bought and I have 3 different temperature paints; 900, 1200, and 2000 degree paints. The 900 said it was for rotors, drums, and calipers. The 1200 and 2000 degree paints are for headers. I felt the 900 degree paint seemed a little low for rotors.

I'm not sure if I'll ever take my Z to a track but I don't want to have any issues with street driving in the summer.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I painted my rotor hubs with a 1700 degree paint.

They were fine on the street and the rear still is.

However, after 2 days at the track I vaporized the paint on the front rotors.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like I'll be using the 2000 degree paint then....Got any suggestions, DJWorm, as far as application?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you are just using them on the street and want to paint them for bling-bling then go ahead. Just tape off the rotor cheek faces and mounting faces and spray away.

I would not paint mine again. The other problem I found was that the paint will eventually come off the rotor and transfer to the inside wheel mounting face and the hub face. If you do not remount the wheel on the same stud then you are left with an uneven mounting surface and it gets worse over time. I ended up sanding the paint off the inside and outside rotor mounting surfaces to prevent this and cleaning the hub and wheel mounting surfaces as well (you should do this anyways periodically).

Instead I would have the rotor hub flange coated with a Heat Barrier. (and the internal vanes with a Heat Emitter)

Other options would be to anodize or Cad. plate it

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The main reason I'm painting them is because I don't like the way they look all silver. I like the look of the black hub that comes with stock rotors. The ones I purchased have been zinc coated and the "all silver" look just bothers me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Painting Rotor Hubs

In addition to the problems noted by DJ Worm, brake cleaner sprayed on the rotor can cause the paint to run if it gets onto the painted hub. I learned this the hard way and would not paint the hubs again. Period.

Regards

1 - 9 of 9 Posts