Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know every pad manufacturer states a different break-in procedure, but I heard that you're not supposed to break in new pads and rotors together. Some say you should break in pads on used rotors. Is this true? I'm going to use the Hawk Blues front, Blacks rear with GM Motorsport rotors F and R. How should I season this set up? I was thinking of running the new rotors with my stock pads for a while on the street to heat cycle them, and then later put on the Hawks and season them. Any suggestions? Thanks.:-?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I wouldn't have any problem bedding them both together.

Its OK to drive on them a couple of miles or so to burnish them in but you can begin the bedding process immediately.

1. Follow the manufacturers directions explicitly.

If you don't have a specific manufacturers recommendation here's what I do.

1. DAY #1. For a new set of pads and rotors I would drive it easy for 1 hour on the interstate, NOT around town. Get 60-100 miles on them, get some normal heat in them for the first heat cycle but DO NOT use them hard. Take it home and put it to bed and let it them cool for 24 hours. You might want to repeat this on the second day after normal driving.

2. Day 2 : After the brakes have cooled for 24 hours after a normal heat cycle. Take it out and warm them up for 1/2 hour using again normal driving but NO hard stops.
Now begins the actual process: with them warmed up take the car up to 80-100 MPH and brake hard to 20 MPH. DO this 5 times in a row. Then drive home using minimal brakes and put it to bed for a 24 hour cool down.

3. Day 3 - 5: Repeat this (#2) 3 times (once each day). 3-5 bedding heat cycles should do it. The warm up is critical, the heat cycle with repeated high heat is critical and the cool down is critical. Don't rush the process. DO NOT brake hard without warming up the brakes during this process or after this process.

Once I didn't have track time and I did this on a deserted Cloverleaf at off peak hours. I don't recommend doing it on a public highway.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you don't

bed them correctly, it will lead to premature brake pad/rotor wear, warped rotors and squealy brakes.

Of course I race mine Solo I and Pro Solo.

Again my 1st recommemndation is to follow the manufacturers recommendation for the composition of the pad and release agent used in the manufacturing process.

This process was given to me by a very sucessful Corvette racer and tuner.

If you just go out and hammer them with out bedding
no problem, but get your wallet out.

My pads/rotors lasted 10,000 miles of daily driving, 3 Pro solo Events, 2 regionals, one regional Championship, 15 local AutoX and 2 Solo events.

I just resurfaced the cryo'd rotors and put on new front pads for the up coming season.

·
Registered
620 Posts
02 Qs,
I have also heard that new pads should not be used with new rotors.
But I still keep asking myself; when we buy a new car, the pads and rotors are new and they seem to work fine. Yes the manual usually says not to brake hard for several hundred miles.
Having said all that, I have installed new race pads with new rotors and bedded them in. Sometimes I bed them in on the way to the track. Just depends on bedding instructions with the pads. I have had no problems at the track in that regard.
Aren't most aftermarket pads now pre-bedded when you get them?
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts