Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some opinions on RPM or gears for
"normal" driving at speeds in the 55 to 75 mph range. Are there some opinions as to rpm to try to keep? Things seem to purrrrr along ok at say 60 mph with cruise in 5th.
Any opinions?:z:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
gear

I drive in whatever gear I see that I am getting the best instantanious mileage.

Sanford

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If I'm just cruising, I'll put it in 6th around 55. Not much power available in this gear at that speed, but it's easy on the engine and on the mileage. In general I try to keep the cruising rpms in the 1500-2000 range.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Seems like this engine can be driven at very low RPMs without bogging. If I am just going to be driving at a constant speed with no acceleration required, and I'm not going up any hills, I'll shift into 6th around 45 or 50 - the car seems quite happy to drive at 1200 RPM in 6th. But if I have to accelerate _at all_, I'll downshift to 5th or 4th, since I think it's not very good for the engine to use high throttle settings at low RPMs.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
5th and 6th

It seems to run good at the lower rpm, but agree any accel. needs a downshift. I have tried many different gears and speeds, seems like what you guys are saying is what the car likes best also.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
With the torque of the LS6 engine, anything above 1000 rpm is fine, unless you're going up a steep hill :)

I used to try to keep the RPM's above 1,500, but it's really not necessary. Now my target is 1,000.

High RPM's w/o a load is what caused the oil consumption problem on 2001's.....

2000 rpm at highway speed is o.k. if your in 6th at 78 mph or more.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
The other cool thing about low RPMs in 6th is that you can come close to econobox-type mileage. Putting along at 45 MPH in 6th, I've seen 35 MPG, which is pretty amazing really. It's kinda the best of both worlds in a single car - the ability to downshift and shove your eyeballs through the back of your skull, but when you're not doing that, you can use the instantaneous MPG display to tune your driving for quite good fuel economy - better than you'd ever expect from a 405 HP car.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the ability to downshift and shove your eyeballs through the back of your skull, but when you're not doing that, ]

LOL :D :D :cheers:
What can be said:eek:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
JLH, in the speed range 55 to 75, while cruising, 6th gear is certainly a good choice and should enable the very best fuel economy. I agree with another member's opinion that you can even get away with cruising at 1000 rpms in 6th gear unless going up hill. (Although you'll be in danger of getting a ticket for going too slow on the freeway). :lol:

An engine with this much low end torque and a sports car this light weight, can take it.

Also agree, that using the instantaneous mpg display is a good idea to manage optimum high gear selection.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Super Information

This is all super information, I hope many others will pick up this thread and read. There are lots of us that spend the great share of our time
"just driving our Z" I drive about 80 miles per day in the summer and not much is "WOT". I want to
"punch" it as often as I can, but still much is on cruise at from 60 to 75 mph. Thanks for all the super input.
:D I still think our Z is a total monster and we love it to the max:D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
'Nuther thing to mention here: even though the engine seems quite happy at 1000-1200 RPM if it's not under much load, I only do that once the car is warmed up. The way I figure it is that the 1-4 skipshift, which forces you into a pretty low RPM range, only engages once the engine is warm, so its probably not good for things to drive around at very low RPMs on a cold engine. 'Course, neither are very high RPMs good, so before the car warms up properly, I tend to stay in the 1500-2000 RPM range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts