Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Got one installed in my car a few months back and have nothing but good things to say about it. My previous exedy didn't handle my power level too well. I only got a couple thousand miles out of it, none of which it ever consistently held properly. The RPS, as you said, is a little heavier then stock, but worlds lighter then the exedy. I daily drive mine and it has wonderful street manners. You can slip it, but its not far from the "on/off" way of driving. I definately recommend it, but I cannot vouch for track use or high rpm launches........haven't been there yet. I don't drive soft either so I know it can take abuse. Good luck with yours, i'm sure you'll enjoy it. :cheers:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I installed the RPS clutch about 6 weeks ago, drove about a 100 miles and went to the track. Since then I have put about 25 passes on it. I launch at about 4000 rpm on ET Streets and the clutch has worked great so far!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How much, I need a clutch

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had the RPS clutch installed on my car about 2 months ago.

since then I have about 10 - 1/4 miles runs on it and 4 - 25 min sessions at Pocono Long Course. The clutch performed flawlessly in both situations.

I am not sure what the term chatter means anymore (so many people are defining it differently), but I can say from my experience when my car is in neutral I do hear a rattle until I push the clutch in. I did not hear that with the stock clutch. I actually called ECS about it and they said you should hear some of the other clutches.

The feel of the pedal is heavier than stock, but I also removed the clutch spring at the same time so it may be that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put a RPS with the Cinergy Flywheel into mine about a month ago. About 3 weeks after it goes it, it comes right back out. On my 20th pass on the drag strip, it goes out. Flywheel comes apart from the clutch and is pretty much gone. I'm getting a new one but now I'm out $1,200 labor on a clutch :flaming:. I've talked with the manufacture and it seemed to be a fault in the process and wasn't fully "complete". Anyway, they are sending me another one so I can try that out. I know of 2 or 3 more that have also failed. RPS failed If this one goes again, I'm going with the Aussie clutch. Nothing but good comments about that so far. Hopefully, everything will be worked out and this should be fine.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Textralia for me then, esp since they seem to be the same price.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
whyw802Z06 said:
I just put a RPS with the Cinergy Flywheel into mine about a month ago. About 3 weeks after it goes it, it comes right back out. On my 20th pass on the drag strip, it goes out. Flywheel comes apart from the clutch and is pretty much gone. I'm getting a new one but now I'm out $1,200 labor on a clutch :flaming:. I've talked with the manufacture and it seemed to be a fault in the process and wasn't fully "complete". Anyway, they are sending me another one so I can try that out. I know of 2 or 3 more that have also failed. RPS failed If this one goes again, I'm going with the Aussie clutch. Nothing but good comments about that so far. Hopefully, everything will be worked out and this should be fine.

I'm beginning to believe, that at least for cars in the 450-500 rwhp range, that most of the aftermarket clutches for our cars are pretty good, but their longevity is highly contingent on two factors...who did the install, and how it was broken in. :yeadog:

Lets face it, some shops are more competent than others, and the attention to the detail during install can make a huge difference in how the clutch sounds (chatter) and feels (subjective, though, in many instances). Then there is the "break-in." I hear how many claim to have given the clutch a relatively "gentle" 500 miles of combined highway and street use.... :bs: How many have had a new clutch put in and then the had a dyno tuning done right after the install? :NoNo: Again, if you do treat it right in those first couple of weeks of "seating" I believe it will last a reasonably long time.

JMHO

BTW...this is not aimed at the above poster, as I do not know who did his work and what type of break-in he did.

Don

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have the RPS as well. ECS did the install same as Wicked Weasel. I too have the rattling in neutral, but I also had it with the stock clutch, only now it's louder. I've learned to ignore it.
I have only 3 1/4 mile passes on it & they were all on street tires. The clutch held fine. I also have 4 25 min. sessions on Pocono's long course & it was fine. The peddal is a bit more stiffer then stock, but that is negligable after a few hundred miles. I followed a strict 500 mile break in period where I didn't launch hard or get into the throttle hard at all for the 500 miles. I didn't rev past 3500 rpms either.
Having said that, my only gripe is that unless I launch (from a stand still during daily normal driving) with enough rpms and let the clutch out quick enough, the entire car will shake. This DID happen w/ my stock clutch, but not very often. I had to change the way I start out a bit, but I've gotten used to it recently. The problem is that I try to be too smooth on launches & less aggressive. I have around 1200 miles on the clutch now.
Ron

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don Benson said:
I'm beginning to believe, that at least for cars in the 450-500 rwhp range, that most of the aftermarket clutches for our cars are pretty good, but their longevity is highly contingent on two factors...who did the install, and how it was broken in. :yeadog:

Lets face it, some shops are more competent than others, and the attention to the detail during install can make a huge difference in how the clutch sounds (chatter) and feels (subjective, though, in many instances). Then there is the "break-in." I hear how many claim to have given the clutch a relatively "gentle" 500 miles of combined highway and street use.... :bs: How many have had a new clutch put in and then the had a dyno tuning done right after the install? :NoNo: Again, if you do treat it right in those first couple of weeks of "seating" I believe it will last a reasonably long time.

JMHO

BTW...this is not aimed at the above poster, as I do not know who did his work and what type of break-in he did.

Don
LGM did the install and it was dynoed as I had to have it tuned with the h/c swap. That may have been it. I drove it home from Texas (500 miles) so I would break it in, although I talked with a guy from Carolina Clutch and he said this clutch just needed about 100 miles, if that, of break in. There is a bonding agent that wasn't "bonded" enough is what he thought was the problem. He said there were 2 clutches that didn't get fully "bonded" and unfortunately, mine was probably one of them. Finally getting the car back this week so we shall see what happens from here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts