Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some rear tires on the car. Places I have called are asking me if i want to go withthe run flat tires. Without this car having a spare it is a viable option I guess to want them.

Big differences in running run flats over non run flats other than peace of mind if i do ge ta flat while a long way from home?

I will be buying the Goodyear Eagle F1's, but not sure if these exact tires actually come in run flats.

Thanks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You will be adding weight and increasing your rotational inertia. The worse place to put extra weight is on the OD of the tire. Do you have the inflation kit that came with the car? I've never used my kit so I can't comment about it's effectiveness.

Chas.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The DOT prohibits use of Run Flat tires without a tire pressure warning system. It's a good rule, one that shouldn't be ignored.

The Z has the TPW system, but it is disabled. You'll need help from your local dealer to enable it with their Tech-II scanner, and you'll need to buy sensors for all four wheels.

You don't need to use Run Flat tires to use the sensors, I don't.

The handling properties of the Run Flat tires are a bit different from normal tires due to their much stiffer sidewalls. Personally, I wouldn't mix them with normal tires. Also, the Z mounts a 295 in the rear. As far as I know, the largest Run Flat you can get is a 275, which is smaller than stock (it's the stock size for the Coupe and Vert).

If you want piece of mind, just install the sensors. Tires rarely go flat instantly, they leak slowly. With the sensors, you'll always know how much air is in each tire, and the system will warn you if the tire goes below, I think 24 PSI, so you can just put more air in the tire (your Z comes with an inflator) until you can get repairs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The compromise of ride quality and handling is too much of a trade off IMHO to run the extended mobility tires more commonly known as run flats..they are loud , rough riding and not praticularly good handlilng tires..when compared to the other high performance tire choices available to you..myself I would not even consider a run flat when making a choice on new tires.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The replies were just what I needed in information as to NOT run them.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Wise choice. You're better off not running them. More cons than pros.

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts