Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know NOTHING when it comes to tires, so I hope this isn't a stupid question: :eek::

I'm going to purchase the black motorsport wheels in the near future, 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear. I was thinking of putting Kumho ECSTA MX tires on, 295/35-18 on the rear and 275/40-18 run flats on the front wheels. Would it be OK to put run flats on the front wheels only since they are the same brand and tread pattern as the tires I'll put on the rear?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Run flat tires have about twice the net weight and much less aggregate grip do to lessoning flex. Although I have never ran RF and non-RF tires together, I would expect them to handle like completely different tires.

So no I would NOT think it’s a good idea to mix Run Flats with non Run Flats on the same car. There are plenty of really good tire options for those size rims. I would not recommend a hokey solutions like this mix.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Are run flats a heavier tire??? Will they make a significant difference in the 1/4 mile??? I would hate to have the car flat bedded to a destination so they can redo a tire. What do you guys do about a spare tire?? Do you keep one in the trunk on trips or do you keep a rim at the house with a fitted tire ready to go?? What gives. Inevitably one will get a flat tire on the highway. Happened to me too many times already. Dr.Bigg

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
will82 said:
I know NOTHING when it comes to tires, so I hope this isn't a stupid question: :eek::

I'm going to purchase the black motorsport wheels in the near future, 18x9.5 front and 18x10.5 rear. I was thinking of putting Kumho ECSTA MX tires on, 295/35-18 on the rear and 275/40-18 run flats on the front wheels. Would it be OK to put run flats on the front wheels only since they are the same brand and tread pattern as the tires I'll put on the rear?

IMO that that's wrong size tire for the front. To maintain the same or near the same circumference at the stock 265/40/17 you need to put a 265/35/18's or 275/35/18's on the front. A 40 series profile is to tall in a 18" diameter.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Run-Flats handle like your tires are made of cement. I got rid of mine at the first chance I had. Only putting them on the front will give you severe understeer as well. I definitely would not recommend it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts