Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of those moments you want to capture in time. Guy in a new stang thinks he is going dust me. after some spirted driving we get to a light. he is behind me right on my ass (2 other lanes had cars so he pulled behind me). Light turns green. I take off and proceed to accelerate hard. Wind 1st out to almost redline, look in rear view and he is trying but not keeping up. I shift to second, get some wheel spin (then tracking control kicked in). so i let off. I slowed down to let him catch up but he would not come up close to acknowledge his beating /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Nice kill /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Always satisfying to shut up a cocky driver!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
183 Posts
HELL YEA. nothing better than hearing a story about a ford getting its ass kicked. Why do guys buy fords and do that to themselves /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
craig, was it a white one? I raced a new white one a couple weeks ago on 28 and smoked him from a 30 kick......

JC

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great killing /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
About a month ago I had the same thing happen to me, except I was behind the Rustang./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif Light turns green the guy gives it hell, I have to stay off the throttle a fair amount. I clear the car next to me, hammer it and blow right around the idiot. He did not acknowledge his woopin either. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cool.gif

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JC,

It was burgundy. Still had temp tags. On Route 50 near Glebe Road. I was minding my own business when he started antagonizing me. You know getting beside at high rpm so I can hear his engine/exhaust. In a town full of low rider/euro imports (annandale)it was an invitation I could not refuse. From now on he will have second thoughts about messing with a Z. Even a outdated 01 model like mine /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Now you all know why I crossed over to the Dark-Side (converted from Ford). My conversion started last Nov. when I bought my Red '01 SS SLP Camaro. My conversion to the Dark Side will be complete THIS FRIDAY when I pick up my Z at the Museum!!! God, I love the LS1/LS6 motor!!!

My '97 S351 Saleen Speedster was a great car but it was not a Z.
Regards,
Ken-

·
Registered
670 Posts

On 2001-08-12 22:32, C5Venom spewed forth this drivel:
Now you all know why I crossed over to the Dark-Side (converted from Ford). My conversion started last Nov. when I bought my Red '01 SS SLP Camaro. My conversion to the Dark Side will be complete THIS FRIDAY when I pick up my Z at the Museum!!! God, I love the LS1/LS6 motor!!!

My '97 S351 Saleen Speedster was a great car but it was not a Z.
Regards,
Ken-

C5Venom,

Let me know what you think of the Z06 after owning a 97' S351... I have a friend who just bought the same car from a dealer in Florida. It's a white one and looks pretty hot. He has almost guaranteed he can smoke the Z06 (we're going to race at Sears Point once I sell my SS and order the Z)

He has also claimed 510hp in his Saleen!... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Does this sound right? Would love to hear your comments! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
165 Posts
Y2K2Z06 - The S351 does have 508 HP at the flywheel. Mine dyno'd @ 402 at the rear wheels. Of course they are out of production now; Steve Saleen's EPA certification for the 351 motor expired and it cost too much to recertify.

A 1/4 mi. race would be interesting. My best time on the optional 18" Z295 Michelin Pilot street tires was 12.355 @ 118 mph. The car has alot of trouble hooking up and the vortec just totally overcomes the drivetrain. I did not run it with slicks but I have seen, at Gateway International, 11.7's with slicks and a great driver (which I am not).

A race on the track would be no contest. The Z06 would smoke the S351. The car, even with all the Saleen suspension mods is just too front end heavy so it plows in the corners and the rear wants to come around if you put power to it before you are through a fast turn.

The other big issue is it's depreciation. When new they ran $55,000 to $68,000 and easily took at least a $15K hit the first year.

Hope this helps....the moral of the story. Choose your battleground carefully against a S351 in a straightline. But, of course, laugh all you want if you are on a winding road.

Regards,

Ken- /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
150 Posts
Be careful if you hear that vortech whistle /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif My 97 Cobra is a beast in a straight line-which is what I built it for. I can run low 12's with street tires and mid 11's on slicks at the track. Traction control is the problem so my Z is quicker to 60 but the cobra is faster to 120 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hey guys,

If you want to compare blown vehicles, we'll get Davidmax's Z06 LPE Stage 2. Dial 1-800-SPANK.

Read Sept. Car and Driver. I rest my case..

Ford Sux,

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
The reason this happens so often is that Ford owners can't read the magazines. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif I have dusted every Mustang that has dared to challange me, on the street. At the track, several can whoop me, but they are not on street tires and are without mufflers or have other non-stock exhaust.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts