Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so for driving which could be considered, emm, competitive (which I DO NOT DO, BTW) - the general recommends putting in another quart of oil to protect the engine..

Now, is it just me, or does draining that quart out afterwards become a PAIN IN THE BUTT!?!

Are there any negatives with running 7.5 quarts all the time? I have a hard time understanding why 7.5 is good for the track, but might not be good on the drive home.. Hmm.

Anyhow, that 7.5 quarts will become 5 quarts anyways after about 100 miles. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just looked at the video that came w/ my Z and noted the same comment about the extra quart, "and drain the quart out after your competitive event"---I agree, what a PITA to do so. Think that was even in the owners manual. I understand the reasoning but geeezzzz, what a pain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On 2001-08-02 19:21, gbjerke spewed forth this drivel:
I just looked at the video that came w/ my Z and noted the same comment about the extra quart, "and drain the quart out after your competitive event"---I agree, what a PITA to do so. Think that was even in the owners manual. I understand the reasoning but geeezzzz, what a pain.
I'm a total moron, so bear with me:

"I understand the reasoning" -- what would that reasoning be???

·
Registered
123 Posts
dimer,

Quick note. I did an oil change at 500 miles and needed 8qts to be just over the fill line. Seems to be running fine, and (knock on wood) no extra oil consumption yet.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On 2001-08-02 21:53, EZ2XLR8 spewed forth this drivel:
dimer,

Quick note. I did an oil change at 500 miles and needed 8qts to be just over the fill line. Seems to be running fine, and (knock on wood) no extra oil consumption yet.
Sorry, my math mistake.. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif 7.5 is what I used to get it to the line.

So, I went through the owner's manual again, and I read that running the oil level higher than the line could cause engine damage..

Hmm. If you plan on racing, put an extra quart in.

If you race, we won't honor warranties.

Oh boy my head is in a spin from those statements. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

If I did some street racing, put an extra quart in, and damaged my engine - why couldn't I just say that GM told me to put too much oil in - and therefore - from their own statement - could have damaged my engine..

Sigh.. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A lot of the LS-1's went into hand grenade mode on high bank ovals. Seems at high RPM under hard acceleration and on the high bank oil was trapped beneath the cylinder skirts of #'s 7 & 8 when the piston came down and met this incompressable mass the outside block wall turned to shrapnel! That's why the LS-6 has all the bottom cylider bores stress relieved with interconnecting windows so oil cannot get trapped beneath a descinding piston. Knowing this, what might happen if you overfill and under hard acceleration cover the rear cylinder windows????
My advice is to fill with 6.5 qts and add the balance as needed. Use the 7 qt total max if you must to gain extra oil cooling capacity. However there may be a trade off in parasitic drag with the crank counterweights sloshing through all that extra oil. DO NOT use more than 7 qts. as you will definately be causing more internal parasitic drag and may be picking up pieces of cylinder wall from the pavement. BE Careful those pieces are HOT!!

There are better ways to accomplish what more oil would do. Use an Accusump and/or put in an oil cooler. Doug Rippie has a nice increased radiator with intragral oil cooler for around $1100. GM is working on a water/oil cooler and Mallett sells one.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Someone asked the reasoning for the "overload" during competitive driving.
Reasoning in the video was that oil would tend to pool at one side of the engine during hard cornering...I would presume they would be referring to a long sweeper (carousel) type turn, and therefore the need for extra oil in the crankcase. However, the video showed the Z06 on what I would call a normal track, one with a lot of turns, but they were mainly 30-60 degree turns. 5-30 oil is pretty thin so this may be a good tip...have just never heard of it before.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I spoke with a GM Engine guy (forgot his name) at the Cruise-In this year since he has extensive vette racing experience. He told me to always put the extra quart of oil in prior to road racing since the high speed corning doesn't give the oil time to get back to the bottom of the pan or something like that. I find that I usually go through a quart of oil during a track weekend of hard driving anyway so haven't worried about draining the excess oil afterward.

Andy

·
Registered
362 Posts

On 2001-08-03 19:54, VetteSpace spewed forth this drivel:
I spoke with a GM Engine guy (forgot his name) at the Cruise-In this year since he has extensive vette racing experience. He told me to always put the extra quart of oil in prior to road racing since the high speed corning doesn't give the oil time to get back to the bottom of the pan or something like that. I find that I usually go through a quart of oil during a track weekend of hard driving anyway so haven't worried about draining the excess oil afterward.

Andy

I have seen Z's loss oil pressure in high G turns.Is just a quart of oil and easy to drain off if you install a quick drain valve on pan.The oil pan is so shallow around the oil pump pickup that all the oil is being pressed to the side of the pan and block under very hard cornering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts