Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Need some more info. What is hot? Temp? Type of driving? Temp outside when driving?

With that info you will have a better chance of getting good advice. :thumb:

Answer to your question: Yes it could be. :yeadog:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not driveable. temp above 220 with coolant resevoir full so he sut it off
ambienrt 70 degrees
He's broke down and we found a thermostat we can install
If he starts car up the temp pegs and he gets a coolant overflow warning

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fyi this is his wife who's relaying help and is not very car savvy...sorry.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got her home. On the highway she'd stay at 190 but at any light it'd go up to 250.

Tomorrow I guess I'll get Chevy to send a tow truck and let them deal with it.

I'm thinking fans ? What do yall think ?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone know what temp the fans should come on ? I am guessing 200 or so. I was gonna crank her this morning and let her get hot and see if the fans come on.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so the fans come on above 224 degrees. I'm thinking stuck closed thermostat or water pump.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
pat03z06 said:
Ok so the fans come on above 224 degrees. I'm thinking stuck closed thermostat or water pump.
Could a big piece of paper or debris that you picked up off the highway blocking the air flow. Let us know what the dealer finds. :ity:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IT L GO said:
Could a big piece of paper or debris that you picked up off the highway blocking the air flow. Let us know what the dealer finds. :ity:
Yeah i checked that when I was on the side of the road with bums and some transvestite he-she walking by. :jawdrop:

It broke down south of downtown austin which is a really funky area. :rofl:

I was coming back from AMD and I35 was moving like a snaill so I ditched on riverside and ended up on a funky part of congress.

So I went in to get a beer while the car cooled down at this funky bar the was hot and humid and smelled like cat urine. :rofl: I saw the bar across the street and though what would Jub do. :lol:

Anyhow I just had a flatbed pick her up and take her to the dealer. Cruise control was not working and they are gonna fix an issue with my seat where it rocks back when I go to latch the seat belt. Then I have to pull the handle and tilt it back up. Annoying.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IT L GO said:
They are saying it is the water pump. Get her back Monday.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
pat03z06 said:
They are saying it is the water pump. Get her back Monday.
Thanks, Interesting, water pumps seldom fail without leaking :cheers:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know I feel so lucky. 23K miles and the water pump fails. :roll:

Everyday I drive this rental I get more pissed. And to top it off my suv is in the body shop for 3 weeks for hail damage. :bmad:

I get it back tomorrow and then it's getting traded. Trying to work a deal on a CTS-V to get rid of the SUV but thats not going perfect yet. :bmad: :bmad: :bmad:

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
IT L GO said:
Thanks, Interesting, water pumps seldom fail without leaking :cheers:
I can't remember ever seeing a pump fail without leaking except for one aftermarket unit where the shaft was improperly attached (did not work from the start).

If you have time, ask them how it failed. I would be interested in knowing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Backlash said:
I can't remember ever seeing a pump fail without leaking except for one aftermarket unit where the shaft was improperly attached (did not work from the start).

Good Luck
I'll see if I can get the info from the tech.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Pat,
I didn't see anyone respond to your original question with some concrete info for you, so here goes if you haven't seen this before.

The fans are programmed to come on in high around 228-230 or so, thus anything up to that in stop and go traffic, stopped at a light, etc is normal. :cheers:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Backlash said:

Good Luck
They said they found it by doing a leakdown test and water was seeping from the weep hole on the water pump.

Was a real butt head place though. Before the flatbed picked it up at my house I detailed the outside. When I walked out to get in it at the dealer it was the dirtiest I had ever seen it.

So I'm like WTF. I point it out to him and he's like give me 10 minutes. HE comes back and its still filthy but wet. :bang:

Even after spending 7 bucks to run it through the laser wash its still filthy like they baked the dirt on it or something. :bmad:

Thanks alot asshat. :flaming:

·
Registered
373 Posts
pat03z06 said:
They said they found it by doing a leakdown test and water was seeping from the weep hole on the water pump.

Was a real butt head place though. Before the flatbed picked it up at my house I detailed the outside. When I walked out to get in it at the dealer it was the dirtiest I had ever seen it.

So I'm like WTF. I point it out to him and he's like give me 10 minutes. HE comes back and its still filthy but wet. :bang:

Even after spending 7 bucks to run it through the laser wash its still filthy like they baked the dirt on it or something. :bmad:

Thanks alot asshat. :flaming:
Sorry to hear that Pat. That's really weird it was the water pump. Did the tech give you any more details?

Bring it to the "other" dealership from now on. :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ya it's going to Hewlitt to Maria from now on. I have to go wash her in a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts