Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the engine bay and noticed that the headers have rust on them, starting from the flange and possibly all the way down. I just got the car new, last September 2004, is this normal?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine had rust on the cast iron manifolds also. However, my car sat on the dealer's lot for over a month. It saw a lot of rain and humidity.

augydog :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 04 had rust on mainfolds and it never sees bad weather.

·
Registered
881 Posts
None on my '02. I think that is the diff between Michigan and Colorado. Was in Detroit last week and all the blacktop roads were white! However, I think this could cause serious problems down the line and best to repace those rusty pieces with some Stainless Steel long tubes!! :sneaky:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Backlash said:
On the stock cast iron manifolds it is normal and is nothing to worry about.
:yeadog: Yup, check any car around and this is what you will find.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I know that rust creeps to other iron/steel materials. Are there any other parts of the engine or underbody that might be susceptible to rusting?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I had some rust on mine also, but I can tell you how to fix it...I bought some LG LTs and cured it right up...Expensive fix though...

Greg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its normal, its what happens when iron and oxygen get together and make babies.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg Irvine said:
I had some rust on mine also, but I can tell you how to fix it...I bought some LG LTs and cured it right up...Expensive fix though...

Greg

I'm already conditioning my wife's mind - 'told her I might need to replace the headers soon, otherwise it (rust) might spread out and cause more problems. I gotta take it slowly though because i just spent some money on Caravaggio seats.

·
Z06 Master
6,137 Posts
Just a thought:

You could remove them and have them blasted then put some Eastwood brushon hi heat paint. I think they have Black and gray. Real good stuff.

BTW, I bought a set on headers myself. :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really surprised that it rusted alread considering that I've only had the car for 5 months. Maybe it was already rusted when I picked the car. :mug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts