Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 01 Z06 and washed her. I noticed after washing the rotos look totally rusty. I noticed this on a lot of C5 I saw at dealers. These are stock rotors.
What exactly is it? how do I clean it? and how can I prevent it?
Thanks,
Aldo
She looks great but those rotors are killing the look

·
Registered
806 Posts
If they are stock rotors the hat's will be painted or powdercoated black (I am not sure which) but the actual brakeing surface itself will be rusty. Even if you mist some water on the rotor in about 2 minutes they will look rusty. After you drive it for a second, the pads will remove the rust from the rotor face and all will look fine. If this is a serious problem, you can buy some zinc washed rotors from just about any vendor or even E-bay. All rotors will have the same rusty look after you wash your car Zinc washed or not.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Yep...wash them or get rained on :eek: :lol: and they look like crap. Drive around the block...stop once or twice and they look like new. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It happens every time I wash my car. I just back down the drive a couple of times letting the brakes drag. It cleans em right up. You gotta loosen up man. :lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Why arent rotors made of stainless steel? I had to replace the rotors/pads on my honda because they rusted and pitted so bad (lack of use during summer months). So annyoing!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stainless is a sorry metal for a brake applacation.In fact it is a sorry metal for a lot of applications where you need a case hardness from induction heat treat or carborize .Your rotors are cast iron,something that can take a lot of heat cycles with a minimum of distortion

·
Registered
208 Posts
OneQuickCoupe said:
:zboobie:

That's how I tell if the wife has driven the car when I'm out of town.

D.J.
hahahaha, that is an excellent idea! I'm gonna have to try that out and observe :cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts