Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took delivery of my 2002 Z06; however I've notice some "rust" on the front stainless steel meshing. Has anyone else experienced this?

rob.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only minor, on one side. I just kind of figured I wouldn't see this problem, on stainless steel.

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
That's strange!

You might want to check with your dealer, and get them replaced under warranty. :cheers:

Zippy :D :D

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Zippy said:
That's strange!

You might want to check with your dealer, and get them replaced under warranty. :cheers:

Zippy :D :D
Rust never sleeps no matter what dealer may say, Replace it warranty...........

·
Registered
386 Posts
Jayzvette said:
Are you sure it's rust??? Stainless steel doesn't rust. weird

Well there is stainless steel and then there is stainless steel. It all depends on the stainless content of the alloy. The cheap stainless steel will rust! I don't remember the numbers for it but #306 seems to come to mind different spec for each alloy. FYI.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yup -- the type of stainless alloy will determine its resistance to rusting. This is the first I've heard of the screens rusting, so maybe its not rust, but some type of other contamination? Have you tried cleaning the screens to see if it comes off? Just a thought.

Maybe one of the assembly line workers put his cigar out on the screen :D:D.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Odds are it's 304 stainless. 304 is used a lot for boat railings because it's cheaper than the good stainless (316) and a lot softer. 304 stainless does rust, especially from salt water. You need to polish it with an appropriate wax at least once a year. Metall is a good cleaner/wax for stainless.

Whatever you do, don't clean the stainless with steel wool, unless you want to contaminate the stainless permanently. Then you'll see real rust.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nice to Know....I will wait until the 35th month, and have them replaced :D :D .......NEVER MIND, I wasn't thinking.....I will be in a C6 Z by then.....:p (That is if I'm still single :D )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts