Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got this problem? The lights have been installed for just over 2 months and already the bolts have gone rusty. $1295 and they can't use some sort of coated bolt?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Where I live stainless steel is the only answer. You would think for the price they charge that SS would be SOP. :flaming:

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Chris, this is a common problem with the SW lights. I sold 21 sets and all of them have the same problem. Here's two options for you.

1. Call SW and get a set of new torx screws. After installing them brush on clear nail polish on the screw head. This will prevent rusting and will not discolor.

2. This is what I did. Remove the torx screws and mist the screw heads with a can of flat black spray paint. Just mist them otherwise you'll fill up the torx hole. Hand tighten all screws first before snugging down with a trox driver. Only snug them, don't overtighten. They will look great for years to come. :jammin:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Red, or Chris, can someone post pics of this light kit on the car from different angles? I like this look. Thanks! :coo:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Same here. I just went to home depot and got some stainless ones. I kinda like the way the stainless ones look. They are flat head screws though, but kinda give it a more finished look.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
You can use either SS or Titanium hardware.

I actually recommend the Titanium as you can set up Electrolytic corrosion between dissimilar metals. SS will sacrifice the Aluminum it touches over time where as Titanium will not.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks Red!

Red, thank you for posting the pics. They really look good!
:thumb:

Can you either pm me with a link to where I can buy these exact lights or post a link. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, you've all been a great help. Think I'll pop down Home Depot and see what they've got. Anyone know the size of the bolt?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just received some replacement screws from Specter Werkes so I'm gonna do what Red Kelly says and paint them with clear nail varnish. Hopefully no rust this time.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
If you don't like the nail polish gloss you can always use the flat black or gloss spray paint. :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts