Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was just invited to bring the eb z out to the local scca autocross next sunday... i have never done one of these before...but the guys in the club wanna see the z..... well a few questions.
i think i am a pretty good driver... even though never done the autocross...
comp mode ?
any other changes.. ?
also .. i have the chromies with the pirelli pzero's.. should i go back to the stock wheels and the goodyear supercar f1's.. what tires are the "stickiest "
new porsches come with the pirelli's... wondering ?

well... give the rookie some thing to go with... even some encouragment... i wanna blow away the little tuner cars...
Headline reads... Z06 eats Honda....yummy .. fast and furious !!!:D :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Mike,

Hook up with DJWORM, a member in PA. really big in scca check his posts in pitroad......

Good luck and have fun.....

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
djworm

i sent the worm a pm ..maybe he can help out..
i cant wait...
any one out there wanna come and play ?

west virginia..charleston..
all roads lead here !!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Wish you were closer

Your 12 hours away(or more) :( Keep us informed on how it goes. Patiently waiting for spring.;)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I started into autocrosses about a year ago just for fun. My girlfriend took me for a date!

I have since done some very small schools by local clubs to get more seat times. After trying it once with the new Z and many times with the old car, here are some simple suggestions.
Shifting - Start in first, go to second then leave it. Worry about shifting later.
Smooth - If you drive smoothly, you will be faster. Don't be herky jerky.
Look ahead - always try to look two gates ahead.

Have fun, but beware....
I was beaten in my Firebird Formula by a guy in a saturn sedan. He had racing tires and man could he drive. The driver makes a lot of difference!!! Especially if this is your first time out.

Oh, and ride with lots of people. Especially the ones running top times - if they will let you. That is always way fun!

chris

·
Registered
815 Posts
my 2 cents

First time out. My 2 cents. Depends on the track, which you should get there early enough to walk at least twice. Don’t worry about drag type starts, as the timing in trip is usually 20 or more feet from your staging area. Go in to the corners slow and come out fast at first. Build up to the limit coming in to corners as you get in more runs. If you really want to get to know what the car is capable of I would say put the stocks back on as they are probably lighter than your chromes. Don’t know about the tire choices. And by the way, slower is faster. Smoooooooooooooth. But remember, your either in the throttle or in the brakes [use allll the brakes, just this side of abs kick in], very, very little if any coasting. Drop 80 –100 bucks and get the suspension set up for better cornering. 2.25 degrees nag. Camber, fullest possible positive caster and 1/32 toe in on front. Rears 1.5 degrees neg. camber total toe in of ¼ inch. You can lower the front ride adjuster but this will be extra $? This set up will eat your tires up on regular street driving but will cook on the track. Spend the bucks and your can always set in back. [However I’m suspecting you’ll be spoiled] Don’t worry about beating the other drivers; only think about beating your last time. Someone else can chime in about gas level. My 96 has a fuel pickup problem in aggressive corning under 3/8th of a tank and always has. Air pressures? Depends on your set up. Take a little shoe polish and mark three equidistant spots on the sidewall up near and including the outer tread blocks on each tire, if your see that you are rolling over on the sidewalls, increase pressure. Ok so that was 3 cents worth. One last comment, remember that there will probably be a wealth of information at the event in the other drivers; talk to them and for sure ride with them. And I would almost bet that more than one would offer to drive your car around the track to show you what they just can’t quit verbalize. :lol: Above all have fun! Oh, & don’t smirk too obviously when you go up to get your first place street tire trophy.

Dr. Electron :d :crazy:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
1st Solo II AutoX with the Z06

Preperation:
1. Put the stock wheels and F1's back on
2. Air pressure COLD, Front 29, Rear 27
3. Chalk the sidewalls of the tires to the contact patch at 3 equidistant places.
4. After your run check the sidewall chalk mark nearest the contact patch, if some chalk is missing, your pressure is too low and you are "rolling" the tires. Let the tires cool and add 1# before your next run. Vise versa for too much presure: let 1 # out and recheck after next run.
NOTE: as a driver you can feel the air pressure as you drive; if you have too much the tires will skate/slid/skid in turns if too little the tires will be "squirrely in turns and under hard acceleration out of turns.
HINT: Try to warm the tires before your first run. The Z06 can easily overpower cold tires. If they are cold use disgression on first run.
5. At the track, remove everything loose on the inside including mats, tire inflation kit, beer cans etc.
6. You'll need a helmet, 1995 Snell approved or better, I think. The local club should have one for you to borrow if you don't have one.
7. Make sure the Oil level, brake fluid, clutch fluid, power steering fluid, and coolant is topped off. You can run either a full tank (better traction) or 1/4 tank to 1/8 tank (faster) full. Do not run with a 1/2 tank full (too much schlosing around and weight transfer.

Suspension:
1. 1st time out go with the factory suspension settings and ride height
2. 2nd time out lower the car to the maximum settings +
-1.0 neg Camber front
Neutral toe front
+5 to 6 Caster
-0.7 neg Camber rear
1/8 to 1/4 toe in - rear
3. 3rd time out (car will be "twitchy")
-1.5 to -2.0 neg camber front
Neutral to 1/16 toe out - front
-1.0 neg camber rear
1/4 toe in - rear.

1st Run:
1. Walk the course at least twice from the beginning all the way through, 1st time for orientation, second time for lining up the car (follow the actual driving line)
HINT: squat down to simulate the view you will have entering and exiting corners
2. Have an instructor ride with you on a practice run to "show the course" first, try to do one slow and on "at speed" lap(s)
3. In staging DO NOT pull up tight to the guy ahead of you especially the guy on the starting line. He may have to back off the line. he may have it in reverse when he goes full throttle! or he will spray rubber dirt and gravel all over your hood.
4. Actual first time at the starting line: Take a deep breath and slowly exhale. Make sure the seat belt is fastened, helmet on tight, Emergency brake off, gear selector in 1st, (recheck if you have had to back off the line and restage!!!!!) Visualize the start, first turn entry and the rest of the course.
5. Green Flag: Take another deep breath and exhale (The timing doesn't start till you do, usually 10 to 20 feet from the starting line) SOOOO....., this is a modified, low rev (not over 2500 RPM) drag start. The object is to get the car moving with as much traction first ....then accelerate through the timing gate. Spinning tires will only slow you down.
6. I run most local tight courses in 1st gear (they are usually set up for Miatas not Corvettes). Some courses require 2nd gear rarely ever 3rd even at the National and Pro Level. Once you select the gear stay off the clutch. Use the gas and brakes to get you around the course.
7. Novice mistake is to enter turns too hot, too fast then jam on the brakes and slow down too much....OR to coast or glide around course. Sure take it slow at first till you now the course and the limits of the car and the limits of the DRIVER!!!!
In Slaloms turn before you think you normally would and attack the cones.
If you hit a cone, get off course or spin, Don't worry we have all been there. Just get back on the course and keep going. Don't get mad or frustrated, just be cool.
8. The 1st time out I highly recommend that you leave the Traction Control and Handling ON, After about 2 runs you can put it in "Competition Mode" I gaurantee if you get "ON IT out of the 1st corner on your 1st run you will either spin it or loop it.
9. As I said the Z06 can easily over power tires. When you get used to the car and know YOUR limitations you will be able to "power through" and "power out" of corners.
You will find the car very forgiving and very fast. Use its power carefully especially at first

I have an extensive AutoX, Solo I and road racing experience.
I looped my Z06 (360+180) coming out of the 2nd turn on the 1st lap I have ever ran in this car in AutoX. I had the Traction Control, Active Handling shut off. Thought I new it all. Yeah right! Have fun but be careful, There is a definite learning curve with these cars. But oince you learn, OH BOY!!!!

Once you get used to the car and if you like Auto X I will help you with the brakes , wheels and tires

Feel free to call anytime, that goes for any one else on the board too.
814-868-3588
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx

:eek: :eek: wow:eek: :eek:

:lol: THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO ..

im sure i will screw up now. !!!

really appreciate the help.!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: my 2 cents

Dr.Electron said:
First time out. My 2 cents. Depends on the track, which you should get there early enough to walk at least twice. Don’t worry about drag type starts, as the timing in trip is usually 20 or more feet from your staging area. Go in to the corners slow and come out fast at first. Build up to the limit coming in to corners as you get in more runs. If you really want to get to know what the car is capable of I would say put the stocks back on as they are probably lighter than your chromes. Don’t know about the tire choices. And by the way, slower is faster. Smoooooooooooooth. But remember, your either in the throttle or in the brakes [use allll the brakes, just this side of abs kick in], very, very little if any coasting. Drop 80 –100 bucks and get the suspension set up for better cornering. 2.25 degrees nag. Camber, fullest possible positive caster and 1/32 toe in on front. Rears 1.5 degrees neg. camber total toe in of ¼ inch. You can lower the front ride adjuster but this will be extra $? This set up will eat your tires up on regular street driving but will cook on the track. Spend the bucks and your can always set in back. [However I’m suspecting you’ll be spoiled] Don’t worry about beating the other drivers; only think about beating your last time. Someone else can chime in about gas level. My 96 has a fuel pickup problem in aggressive corning under 3/8th of a tank and always has. Air pressures? Depends on your set up. Take a little shoe polish and mark three equidistant spots on the sidewall up near and including the outer tread blocks on each tire, if your see that you are rolling over on the sidewalls, increase pressure. Ok so that was 3 cents worth. One last comment, remember that there will probably be a wealth of information at the event in the other drivers; talk to them and for sure ride with them. And I would almost bet that more than one would offer to drive your car around the track to show you what they just can’t quit verbalize. :lol: Above all have fun! Oh, & don’t smirk too obviously when you go up to get your first place street tire trophy.

Dr. Electron :d :crazy:

I'm curious why you suggest all the castor you can put in the car? I've always driven with my race cars having as little castor as possible without being too twitchy. Of course they were 1/10th and 1/12th scale so I dunno how it would feel in a real car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
And keep in mind that you can still overpower tires even with Active handling and Traction Control on or at least I did. Ran my firsh Autocross last week. Had a blast and learned alot. Looking foward to doing it again.;) ;) ;)

Dave

·
Registered
906 Posts
DJWorm,

This was a most informative post. Thanks for replying. :cheers:

WVPhoto,

Thanks for asking. :)

I have learned more about this car here than anywhere else (including driving the Beast). Somethin' new everyday. Now all I have to do is wait for the snow to retreat and I will be back at it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts