Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering? How many of you would find a high tech DOHC 24 valve V6 (or inline 6) inserted into a much smaller and lighter package (frame and body) attractive, as an alternative to massive V8 power? Would it really be Sacrilege? Or retro. back to "55"? ;)

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Why, when we have a light hi-tech 8cyl :)

With this crowd, they would probably opt for a 10 or 12 cyl version before they went lower :)

JC

·
Registered
991 Posts
More is better

I would like to see a new Z06. It could be called the Z06F22 and be powered by the new Cad 7.5 XV12
with 750 HP.:eek: :eek: :D Super cool ride for sure. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Just IMHO, what matters to me isn't absolute HP, nor displacement, nor number of cyls, but HP to weight ratio, handling, and so forth. If Chevy could manage to stick a V6 in some lightweight platform to give me the same or better acceleration and handling (or a sufficiently strong V6 in a car of the current weight), I wouldn't mind just because it was a 6 and not an 8. That's not to say I would give up anything else to get that, but if I didn't have to give anything else up, I wouldn't mind either.

But that's not always easy to do. Designing light cars or high power small engines is usually going to involve some tradeoffs in terms of price, features, creature comforts, or what have you. I'm pretty happy with how those tradeoffs have been made in the current C5 - there's really not much I would change about it. I'd have to re-evaluate the tradeoffs in a new V6 car.

That's my $0.02.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Nothing compares to the V8 RUMBLE:eek: .....nuf said!:D

·
Registered
631 Posts
Why oh why would you want to do dat ?

The entire Corvette community would just :puke:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
8 SNAKE said:
Some is good, more is better, and too much is just about right!
:cheers: What he said!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Ok, I have a GM product with aV6. But the impeller on the Turbo is the size of a garbage can lid. And it has a really unique sound, basically like a dump truck, or a Kenworth or a Peterbilt. I guess by now you've figured out that it is a GN.

Is this motor suited for a Corvette, absolutely not. I think the American V8, and the Corvette are just too linked togther. I also don't think that a V6 would ever do the car justice.

A V6 is ok as far as the gee-whiz factor, in some other car. But, not the vette. Another thing is that smaller motors like that might tend to have some really cool hp number, but the curve is peaky, and torque is much lower.

Let me give you an example we could all relate to. If you go dyno your car, look at the chart. Then go over and look at a Viper's dyno chart. The power to weight ratio on the Z06 and the Vette are really close. But, the torque curve on the Viper is higher and flatter than the Z. This translates into a totally different SOTP feel to the cars.

The only corvette I have ever ridden in that could generate just boatloads of torque was the Callaway. You tip into the throttle on that car, and it just pulled like a freight train.

But on the Viper, I do not care for the sound the V10 makes. But, if for instance GM wanted to make a V12, I would certainly entertain that idea.

But, cubes and cylinders rule....

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I like big torquey V8's and I like the old big round air cleaners !!!!

Gettin' old, I suppose

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'm in love with the low end torque that 8 cylinders and cubic inches provide. I also really like how Chevy is able to get all this power along with LEV rating AND with 26 MPG being easily attainable.

Compare this to the Mustang Cobra with it's low displacement, complexity yet it still manages less horsepower and efficiency. I wouldn't want that engine much less a V6.

Anyone ever tried a Honda S2000? You have to rev that mutha to hell and back to keep up with traffic. If that's the future, I'll stick with the past.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts