Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the next generation of crap gas the state of Ca is forcing down our gastanks, I began testing using a mix of crapgas with race gas and also different types of octane boosters.

I was able to tune out all knock and then decided to run crapgas straight Eccch !

Take a gander of this crap and the results when not tuning out knock due to this piss.

http://teamzr1.com/shitgas.html

See all the knocks in just a few minutes !

First it's hard enough to see an American ( human or car) in this state and now what the heck those of us with real cars going to do if we have a healthy engine /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

John

·
Registered
0 Posts
It's all Greek to me!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Damn I wish I knew what all those #'s meant!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

On 2001-08-16 17:13, fcalmes spewed forth this drivel:
It's all Greek to me!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif Damn I wish I knew what all those #'s meant!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Look over to the right side of screen and the math reports how many (KR) knocks there were and the average timing retard due to knock.

It's not just the lower octane, it is also the new secret smog crap they are now putting in.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

On 2001-08-16 18:24, mgarfias spewed forth this drivel:
Hell man, I can HEAR mine knocking. Makes me sick.

Seems they are saying if we do not spend our American dollars on rice burners, then let our engines run like one.

Yea, there is greek involved here for sure /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

John

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Unfortunately, It's just a matter of time before we will all have to use crapgas /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Vince

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
It's a government conspiracy man! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I read about it on the net. I think several foreign countries and a group of aliens (from another planet, not another country) are in on it. I know for a fact Al Gore is the leader of a secret group of left wing radicals operating from inside the U.S. government. The goal; to have all red blooded, American, Z06 driving males riding solar powered mopeds by the end of the decade! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_flaming.gif Arise my brothers! Drive fast, play hard and use as much high octane fuel as you can! Pour it over your Wheaties if you must!!

Oh wait, this isn't the militia site is it.
Damn, hit the wrong "favorite" again, never mind. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's not the gas that crappy.
It's that GM (and other manufacturers) are calibrating for 91 octane in very cool temperatures and they rely on and knock retard to keep the engine out of detonation under other conditions.

I don't care what brand of 91/92 octane fuel you buy and where you buy it. With a 75 deg. average IAT on an engine like yours, which is probably modified with more aggressive spark cal, you are going to get knock retard.

GM and other manufacturers will tell you 91 oct is all you need, but oil industry studies of real-world octane needs show that most late model high-performance engines need 94.5-95 oct (R+M/2 method) to run detonation-free all the time.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Sorry dude, but you're dead wrong. I'm running a bone stock 01. With ambiant air temps of anywhere from mid 50s to high 80s. I get the pinging across the board.

The only way to stop it, is to not put my foot into it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the 2nd test using the same tank of crapgas.

As I've reported in the past regardless of the engine mods and the higher compression I am able to remove knock completely even when at the drags or on a dyno.

Thus these tests showed a engine that was knockless to high ping counts with up to 10 degrees of timing retard using straight crapgas.

http://teamzr1.com/crapgas2.html

Test 3 will be with gas boosters added and tune with MAFT to remove the H.P robbing knock.

It's just not a few points lower octane, it's this new smog gas has other crap in it causing the ill effects.

John

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

On 2001-08-17 07:55, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
We can ship you some Sunoco 94 /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OK, I'll take one tanker load /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
You guys need to get the hell out of Ca.! It's going to fall into the pacific one of these days anyway. Come on out to the mid-west where we can buy good gas and make all the smog we want. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Here in lovely Columbus, Ohio we don't even have emissions testing. Which is why I removed my cats. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Can you buy race gas out there?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

On 2001-08-17 12:27, hcvone spewed forth this drivel:
That really sucks not being able to get anything over 92. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Worse, 91 is the max and in talking to Union76 it is really less with the smog crap.
Man this stuff stinks, worse smell then smog gas they finally admitted was killing us off.

This may really change peoples minds on what mods they do and if they buy a car that has lots of performance.
I think that's what they want, buy some 4 banger and make overseas nameplates happy.
We are a testbed, coming soon to your home /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

On news this week, reports already that this new gas is as bad as the last junk they were pumping down us:(

John

·
Registered
619 Posts
Does anybody know if the knockng will stop by adding an octane boster?

Like those sod in th stores, they increase it the octane to about 94 or even 101.

Maybe, you can run a couple of tests? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

On 2001-08-17 13:32, VPRKLLR spewed forth this drivel:
Does anybody know if the knockng will stop by adding an octane boster?

Like those sod in th stores, they increase it the octane to about 94 or even 101.

Maybe, you can run a couple of tests? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_confused.gif

Here you go, testcases 3 and 4.

Test 3 is to give one more test with this crapgas only to assure test reults were valid.
As you can see hundreds of pings within about 15 minutes of driving in 85 degree weather pullng up hills on the freeway.
Most knock is while cruising and when pulling up a hill.
2 testcases results, one for NON WOT and another while in WOT.

Test 4 (WOT and NON WOT testcases)is still using the same tank of crapgas but added octane booster and made changes to A/F via the MAF translator.
All test results were captured via the Eae enhanced scanner.

http://teamzr1.com/crapgas3.html

I add'd misfires and delivered torque to the other functions being monitored.

As you can see even with the amount of engine compression the Rebel has, I could on first pass, to tune most of the kock out.

After a few days of driving ( but leaving enough gas left from this tankfull) to allow PCM to further again fuel trim tables, I will do one more adjust of A/F via MAFT and do same testcases again.

John

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Man that sucks... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif Hope it isn't coming our way, we still have 93 octane available.

I would definitely get a 160 deg thermostat and lower your fan turn on temperature. You should be able to get away with less timing retard at the lower temps.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?PARTNUMBER=100223

Also make sure you are running no more than 50% anti-freeze.

There is also a product called WaterWetter that is supposed to improve your cooling systems thermal transfer efficiency, I would give that a try.

http://www.redlineoil.com/redlineoil/wwti.htm

1985 Coupe/Red
2002 Z06 Order# DKFFMZ - TPW 8/6 - DOA /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif
2002 Z06/Millennium Yellow/Black/All but PSMs
Try #2 - Order# DNFM0T - TPW 8/20!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts