Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know my stang was just fine, but with the IRS and all on the z, anyone ever broken a rear using nitto drag radials ,or 2R, launching? am leaning toward the 555 2r or r2 whatever it is, for everyday tires when the f1's need replacing. got me to thinking about the exrtreme drags on a second set of wheels. or is it needed? are the drag radials noticeably better at sticking than the 2rs (the road race version of the 555)

thanks

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Stock rear end is okay for a few passes. Are you on stock clutch? Just don't launch with the rpms too high and you're fine.

This is from what I've heard... no personal experience. Hope others chime in.

Alex

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ron:

Howhigh was your launch RPM when you broke? Tire pressure? Did you dump the clutch?

Rich

·
Registered
71 Posts
slow99 said:
anyone ever broken a rear using nitto drag radials ,or 2R, launching? thanks
Not yet! I have broken an input shaft down shifting hard into second.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Richard Branca said:
Ron:

Howhigh was your launch RPM when you broke? Tire pressure? Did you dump the clutch?

Rich
I was attempting to launch at 5500rpm's. It was my 1st run of the day. The psi was at around 18.....The car dead hooked. I didn't dump the clutch, but being the 1st run of the day, I probably let it out TOO quickly....Tough luck I suppose. I broke very badly for a stock car I was told!
Ron

·
Registered
624 Posts
Was the tranny damaged too?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I was told that once I got DRs I would lose my clutch and after about 15 passes on them not spun, other then when twince I accidentially went into 5th instead of 3rd, it glazed but still works 100%...

my clutch might be an exception, I have ragged on it for 20k, and even with stupid things that made it glaze it still never spins, KNOCK ON WOOD but I've been extremely lucky and I love my stock clutch, maybe part of it is when Im not beating on it like 2nd gear burnouts and fishtails, I do tend to leave my foot away from it when crusin and inbetween shifts, alot of drivers leave the foot gently on top of the clutch waiting for the next gear to come up to shift, but thats the reason for a Premature wore clutch, but When launching on DRs I dont think its a premature issue, It could be a brand new clutch on the first time out and burn it all out, but you should be fine with a few passes here and there, I'll let you know when mine gives up, so far from what I hear others say about other clutches, even the best clutches, the stock Z06 clutch seems to be the most durable for stock power and drivable, I dont want mine to go :cry:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
The stock clutch can take a beating. Just don't overdo it.

Alex

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
On my 2nd set of Nitto DRs on my Z06. They are my daily tire... no problems to speak of, but I do not drag race it at the strip often (only once, actually).

·
Registered
265 Posts
I had at least 125 passes on my stock clutch on DR's. Under warranty my clutch was replaced due to it sticking to the floor, not from racing, it happened before the car ever saw a track. When it was replaced we inspected it. That clutch was less than half way worn, I was amazed. While the car was apart I had then throw in a hardened output shaft for a minimal fee. Output shafts are cheap, and well worth the investment, just ask Dr. Ron, he had major damage. Pay a little now or alot later.....

Dave

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry to hear that . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts