Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it was also a silver car, like mine, crusing up Route 1 to San Francisco and I thought it looked pretty nice. I would basically say that it looked like a Z3 on steriods. Wish I was driving my Z06 at the time so I could go for a kill, but unfortunately I was driving my Ford Windstar. Strangely enough, because we were in a lot of traffic, I was able to get quite a bit ahead of the Z8 just by choosing the right lane at the right time. I've noticed that in heavy traffic, choosing the right lane at the right time beats any amount of torque; and being high up, as I am in a van, gives me a big advantage too. So on this venue, I probably did better in my van that I would have in my Z06. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I know it's going to be much more exlusive than the Z06; I've already seen 3 other Z06's in my area (MY and Red). I did a bit of research. BMW claims the Z8 does the 0-62 in "under 5 seconds", while GM basically claims the Z06 does it in "over 4 seconds". Another test showed the Z8 doing the 0-60 in 4.2 seconds. From this, I interpret BMW as saying "yeah, we've got the performance thing nailed, but the Z8 is more than performance", while I think GM is saying "we've just got performance, and we're trying to get quality and other things too, but you'll just have to take performance for 50K."

One thing I'm suprised at is the weight of the Z8; I think I remember it being around 3400 pounds. Quite a lot of weight for such a small package.

Anyway, it sure looked nice, and I'd love to drive one or kill one, one day...

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is a black Z8 in my neighborhood that I've been trying to catch at a light but he's always going in the opposite direction when I see him. I'm ready for playtime!!!!!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hearing about the Z8 reminded me. I remember seeing a show on speedvision, about 6 months ago, I don't remember who was conducting the tests. They were at the f o rd testing grounds in AZ. Supposedly one the finest testing areas anywhere; 1/2 mile strip, huge skidpad area and 5 mile high banked oval with 1 mile straighaways. Nine cars were tested in a variety of events; slalom, hard 180 degree turn, 0 to 100 to 0, 1/4 mile and the staninding 1 mile. The 9 cars were: Shelby Series II (twin trubo non-production), Viper, 911 Turbo, Z06, Ferarri Modena, Z8, Cobra-R, Firebird Firehawk and Qvalle Mangusta. The Z8 never finished higher than 5th in any of the tests. The Viper was first in a couple of the events but finished last in the 0-100-0 since no ABS it locked and skidded badly. The Z06 finsihed 4th or higher in all of the events, highest was 2nd in the 1/4 mile behind the viper. Most of the cars were reasonably close for all of the events except the standing mile. In the standing mile the Shelby had the fastest time and highest top speed (162+) only a tenth or so better than the viper in both. The 911 Turbo was 3rd and Z06 4th only a tenth difference between the 2 in their speeds (160+) and times. The Modena was 5th but about 5+ mph behind the Z06. The Z8 was 6th around 3 mph behind the Modena. If I remember correctly the remaining 3; Cobra-R, Firehawk and Mangusta were several mph behind the Z8.
The Z8 was given high marks for looks and interior "pretty-ness" but was very low on its performance. It was tied for the biggest dog per dollar with the Mangusta which finished last in just about all of the events. The Z06 was picked as the hands down best value and toss up for best overall with the viper and shelby. They felt the Shelby probably should not be considered since it was not an available production car. It showed that the American sports cars take no back seat to the imports.
Once again, the Z06 not only holds its own in performance with the big dollar boys but beats most of them with about $100+K left to spend.

Enjoy the ride, I am!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
The Z8 will do 0-60 mph in about 4.5 to 4.7 and will do the quarter in 12.8 to 13.2 depending on whos mag. is doing the test. The same engine and trans as the M5. The Z8 is a nice car I just do not think it is worth the price of 2 M5's.

** Corvette Club of Delaware Valley **

www.hcvind.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I will find one ... and I will hand him his ass!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

·
Registered
6 Posts
C5David,
Are you familiar with it's styling predecessor the Type 507? Does it look much like it. Some pictures make the Z8 look really good while others don't seem to be too complimentary. If is looks even a little like the 507 I fell in love with at the Imperial Palace Museum, It would be a stunner. Haven't seen one in person yet but it is a very interesting car.

2001ZO6,
If it were about 300 pounds lighter (like the Z) it would be quite a performer. Now, if the ZO6 in the test had a pair of Lingenfelter turbos like the Shelby, do you think it would have beat it to 160 mph /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ? Why would anyone ever throw a ringer like that into a serious test of exotic muscle cars? Can you say PAYOLA?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe one of our missions, being Z06 owners, is to spank the ass of anyone driving a much more expensive car - the more expensive the better. Some cars are way out of our leage (unless you've got serious mods), for example an F50 or a Viper. But most cars are spankable, like the Z8.

SpeedStaR: It looked more like a blown out Z3 than a Type 507, although it definately had style elements of the 507. But maybe that's because I see so many Z3's on the road.

·
Registered
566 Posts
C5David:

I would not be so quick not to challenge a Viper (stock, anyway). The stock times between the two cars are close enough to make the driver a factor.

The Viper has the edge if all else is equal, which is seldom the case. You can check with Jon B. on the Viper forum, he owns a GTS and a ZO6. I give the ZO6 an edge handling wise too, for the average driver.

Personally, I would love to run a Viper to see how good I am. It's no real fun beating cars you should anyway. I think some of our forum members have tangled already, and with good results in many cases.

·
Registered
6 Posts
C5David,

Too bad it doesn't look more like the 507. That was one gorgeous car, not just for it's time but for all time. Quite a closet collectable but at a value of 3 or 4 Z8's (even with the current price gouging) the museum is is close as I will ever get. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts