Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....out of myself today.

Had new brake pads put on yesterday, along with rotors resurfaced and new AP600 fluid installed and system bleed. The technician said he was sorry but didn't have enough time to heat up the system and "hot" bleed the calipers for me. Winter is closing in fast so I thought I would wash the car for the last time, go for a Saturday morning drive around town to "set" the new pads on the rotors and then do the first "burnish in" and hot bleed the calipers afterward.

You must understand my "burnishing in" procedure for the pads: 5 panic stops from 100-20 MPH with moderate pressure then take it home and put it to bed for 24 hours then agian the next 2 days (3 high heat cycles). This extends pad and rotor life. Best place to do this locally is at the nearby Interstate Cloverleaf. Yep off the on ramp up to 100, no merge, check traffic, hit the exit ramp and hit the brakes down to 20 then around the cloverleaf and do it again 5 times. "Well Officer I was just......" ....anyways , you get the picture.

Washed the car at a self serve wash as I have put all the hoses away for the winter. Seemed like it had real high nozzel pressure. Light tour around town and the local State Park to "set" the pads and dry the car.
Then to the Interstate for the "burnishing" process. Accelerated down the ON ramp going to the Cloverleaf. Hit 85 at bottom of ramp and hear a loud ripping and tearing sound!!!! Then the sound of pounding on the roof ....like eight tiny reindeer!!!!! WTF!!!! Holy Shit the roof is delaminating!!!! Hit the brakes. Check the rear veiw and didn't see my top but a whole bunch of red debri rolling on the ramp. WTF!!!??? Did I hit a seagull or something? Maybe a Pheasant or a Grouse.?? Road was clear, Hell it is brand new repaved last month. Didn't hit anything. WTF????

Pulled off on the berm, put the flashers on, Got out and looked the car over..... Nothing , No Damage, No dents, No blood, roof is still there, trunk lid still there, hood still intact. Mirrors are still attatched, Didn't have the bra or mirror covers on at the time. WTF???!!!
State Police pulls in behind, puts his lights on.
"Any problem, Sir?""
"Ahhhh......No Officer, just stopped to check out a.... a warning light on the dash. No problem though, Thanks."
WTF??
"Your OK then?"
"Yes, Officer, ahh....just leaving. Everythings OK, Thanks again, Sir"

WTF is going on?? Meteor Shower? WTF?????

Compose myself, Do the 'burnish in". Didn't see the State Cop again. Got home bled the brakes. Still can't figure it out.

Car is cooled down now. Putting the car cover on.
"HEY,.....where's the banner?

My, red Pro Solo "TIRERACK.COM" banner is missing from the top of the front windshield!!!!! The car wash pressure must have loosened the leading edge, then the colder outside temps must have hardened the adhesive and it ripped off at high speed!!!
WTF!!!!!!

WHAT A FOOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Ohh man glad to hear it was just your banner!! For a minute I thought you were going to say you lost your convertable top!!!!!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No....I got one....

....like yours. Last time I hit a bump the top was pretty hard. At first I thought the layers were delaminating. Whew!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
whew you made me nervous just reading it. :eek2: pucker factor 8.2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts