Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SCCA has approved the Aluminum Framed Lotus Elise for Club racing in their Touring Series T1. It will need some minor modifications and they will allow a Steel roll cage to be bolted to the Aluminum frame. They certified the forward extruded Aluminum firewall section as strong enough to prevent compartment penetration from the front (Note the Elise is rear engined).

This same process would clear the way for the Aluminum framed C6 Z06 in 2006.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
This same process would clear the way for the Aluminum framed C6 Z06 in 2006.
Ugh!

The "slow" 400 hp Z06s are more than enough car for the class, now we are going to have the 500 HP version? Oh man! The SS/C and SS/B guys are really going to be bitching if they are in the same run group.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Since GM has some pull with SCCA, I find it hard to believe that their number one sports car for 2006 will not be in a class. My opinion.. The cost of T1 racing is going up.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That would be my guess. I don't know how you could realistically keep it out because there are other cars that have close to those numbers...and they restrict them. I'm guessing they'd also have to add some weight to it...to keep things equal. There will still be many C5s making up most of the T1 class so you can't just make them the 'knife' at the gun fight overnight. I can't wait to see it out there though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I hope they have some specifics as to the cage bolt on methodology.
As far as the competitiveness goes, unless they restrict it really bad, it will be like a new F-22 versus an F-16, i.e. no contest unless the driver is a complete idiot!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There have been Aluminum unitized body cars, Audi and some Chysler cars for example, that have had bolt in roll cages.

And there has been the option of bolting in or welding in roll bars and cages in Solo I for a long time.

And of course most of the '60's and '70's F1 and Can Am car were Aluminum Monocoque with bolted on roll structures and firewall/header plates.

I would think that you will not simply need a number of bolts but rather a specific thickness bottom and top backing plate(s) with Grade 8 or better (AN) bolts to attatch the structure to the Aluminum frame. I do not see any "through" bolts but it must be "indexed" somehow

·
Registered
417 Posts
DJWorm said:
There have been Aluminum unitized body cars, Audi and some Chysler cars for example, that have had bolt in roll cages.

And there has been the option of bolting in or welding in roll bars and cages in Solo I for a long time.

And of course most of the '60's and '70's F1 and Can Am car were Aluminum Monocoque with bolted on roll structures and firewall/header plates.

I would think that you will not simply need a number of bolts but rather a specific thickness bottom and top backing plate(s) with Grade 8 or better (AN) bolts to attatch the structure to the Aluminum frame. I do not see any "through" bolts but it must be "indexed" somehow
Obviously we at Hardbar use alot of aluminum for structure so we know it can be done. The key is the distribution of the load. Probably need to have in addition to the plates, welded in tubular standoffs that the bolts go through so the load is distributed through the frame. Obviously it can be done correctly, I just hope SCCA is very specific otherwise I can envision alot of hack jobs. Look at some of what is out there now....

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally agree Gary, This type of Mod must be done correctly; and it is most important with an Aluminum frame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just don't see the Z06 being classified for the following reasons, the car would have to be restricted so huge to dumb it down to the speeds of the current cars in the class what would be the point of running such an expensive derivitive of the C6 when it would be no faster?

If it was classed and allowed to run close to it's potential it would "KILL" the class in less than a season, I mean what could could compete with it a new Viper coupe? At 400lb heavier and identical power levels it doesn't look like it...

Yesirreee the new Z is an AWESOME hot rod but I would hate to see it in T1...

Now SS in Solo... YEAh BABY!!!

sbw

1 - 14 of 14 Posts