Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Congrats to Danny for a great finish. :cheers:

I looked real hard at running One Lap a few years ago but decided it was out of my price range to compete at the top. One of these days I may run in one of the other classes just to do it.

Takes some serious gonads to go flat out with no practice laps on cold tires at a track you may not have ever been to before. :eek:
That daunted me. If I do it, I will make sure to go run a DE at each track before the One Lap and then watch my in car video from that track on the way there.
I would feel comfortable going balls to the wall at a track I really knew well, such as Memphis Motorsports park. But, I have a lot of seat time there now.

My hats off to all the competitors. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Danny Popp put on quite a driving clinic last week, and his results showed!
Great going, Danny!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Trying to compare times you all saw in one lap to known track times on those courses and can't figure out what your times are/
Are they 2 laps or 3 laps or something weird. Nothing obvious pops. I assume VIR was full course but which days??
Was curious lap times for VIR courses and Roebling.
:-?

·
Registered
78 Posts
All of the laps are taken from a standing start so that skews the numbers a bit.

I believe that Jerry Onks was driving all of the southern courses and Danny was driving all of the northern courses.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Silver Bullet said:
Trying to compare times you all saw in one lap to known track times on those courses and can't figure out what your times are/
Are they 2 laps or 3 laps or something weird. Nothing obvious pops. I assume VIR was full course but which days??
Was curious lap times for VIR courses and Roebling.
:-?
Besides the standing starts, and varying course lengths from Run 1 to Run 2 (sometimes), also keep in mind these vehicles run minimum 160 treadwear-rated tires, and because of the wet skid pad opening event (and Mother Nature's persistent participation this year), shaved tires are NOT utilized. Weather, course outlines, rainrainrain and the aforementioned starts all contribute to times that may seem slow. For anyone witnessing the deal, any of those Top 20 would be quite a ride, even for experienced Z06 DE participants...
Adee's Monster Magnum runs a 500 inch B-1 wedge with 750 horse/torque and a sequential gearbox. Smith's Hennessey Viper put out god-knows-what (Smith is a tire tester for Michelin, so you KNOW he's got the best rubber ever put thru Tire Rack, developed and tested by him...in a Viper, no less...). DaVia's Porsche TT was AWD and 500 @ ALL the wheels (Mother Nature whips a 996...). Dan and Danny had too much power, generally, for circumstances, what with standing water and the odd blow'd engine thrown in for good measure. And the 300C turned an 890 on the WET SKID PAD on 295/25's....which most 300's couldn't do in the DRY (being an on-going SRT Project car, I suspect we saw "modern electronics" at work, as it NEVER broke loose a tire...).
Excuses? No. Interpreted facts.
As to specs 'n such, some would be embarrassed to list the complexity and real-world expense, all to win a $20 trophy and a set of tires.
We, on the other hand, have divulged ALL in the VETTE Magazine series...and with Danny Popp's "chassis sorting", combined with dry weather next year (??), we'll see...
Some of the OLOA top runners will appear at the Car and Driver SuperTuner Shootout, to run at MIS later in June. Keep an eye out for that article, likely in Sept/Oct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts