Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This goes out to poeple with de/solo experience.
Has anyone changed the front rims to 18" ? does the car handle the same, what is the difference in handling characteristics? Is this a bad idea or doesnt really matter?

I'm looking to by a set of nice CCW's all 18"

:usa:

·
Registered
372 Posts
For me I have seen less push and better braking, car feels a bit more neutral. The braking is the result of a larger width tire.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I haven't had her on the track yet, but I am very happy with my CCW Classics and Nitto 555R2's.

18 x 285 front on a 10.5" wide rim and 18 x 305 rear on a 11.5" wide rim.

Rides like it is on rails, and understeer is a long forgotten memory.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I have recommended this numerous times. Although required to run stock wheel sizes in SCCA Super Stock; most top National Tour and Pro Solo racers in ASP and SM2 increase the front wheel and tire size where the tire and wheel size rules are unlimited.

I recommend:
305/30x18 on 10.5 x 18 with +0.25" offset Front
315/35x17 on 11 x 17 with +0.25 offset Rear

This equalizes the tire contact patch F/R and Neutralizes the handling.
It reduces the static and mid corner understeer.
It increases front grip and reduces braking distance.
It increases initial turn in.
It increases cornering speed.
The shorter and stiffer 30 aspect side wall reduces flex, has a more positive feel, allows better feedback and steering modulation.

Having the higher 35 aspect in the rear allows the car to squat better and transfer weight better. This increases rear traction under hard cornering and acceleration which increases corner exit speed.

There are no clearance problems with this set up.

These impprovements hold true in both low speed AutoX and high speed DE and Solo I Time Trials.

Note that although the SCCA T1 rules allow 315/35x17 on all 4 corners they only allow a 10 x 17 wheel in the front which limits the 315's effectiveness. They are allowed to run a (correct) 11 x 17 rear wheel with the 315/35x17 tire. The T1 Spec Line allowance is in fact a limiting rule.

Running the 305/30x18 in the front (rather than a T1 315/35x17 on a 10 x 17 wheel) offers a better solution and is in fact at least 1 second a lap quicker.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I recommend: 305/30x18 on 10.5 x 18 with +0.25" offset Front 315/35x17 on 11 x 17 with +0.25 offset Rear .[/QUOTE said:
what wheels are you using?? are they same or lighter than stock??

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
A lighter and stronger race wheel is appropriate.

I recommend either CCW, Kodiak or Circle Wheels as resonable

You can get more exotic and lighter (and more expensive) with Jongbloed, BBS Magnesium, or Fikse racing wheels.

I do NOT recommend OEM wheels for the track or AutoX especially the +'02 spun cast wheels

1 - 7 of 7 Posts