Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read most of the posts on the rollbars and would like to know if anyone has the SCCA GCRs (General competition rules) that would describe the requirements for a corvette (touring 1) in solo I or II....basically their 4 point rollbar requirement.

From the posts I've gleened that 1 3/4 bars are not large enough in diameter to be compliant and actually had a short discussion with Autopower today where they read me some of the GCR's, but their document was incomplete.

Does anyone know where I can get and electronic copy of the SCCA GCR's

According to Autopower, their rollbar assembly which is SCCA compliant (except for club racing) is:
2 inches in diameter
.120 inches of tube wall thickness
front legs are welded via plates to the top of the aft firewall and back legs to the frame after cutting holes in the back cargo area.
has a bolt on cross member and bolt on diagonal (top left to lower right)
Lead time to ship 4-6 weeks

Has anyone installed one of these, and do you have a picture?

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
T1 Rollcage Specs

17.1.8.10.a.

Roll Cage:
1. All Touring Category autos shall have a roll CAGE as specified in and in accordance with GCR Section 18.2., "Showroom Stock/Touring Category Roll Cage." It shall be contained entirely within the driver/passenger area compartment (this shall include the entire open area of the interior of hatchback vehicles).

18.2 also refers to 18.1.6.C
Minimum Tubing Sizes
3001-4000 lbs. 1.75x.120DOM/Seamless/Alloy - NO ERW
Main Hoop 4 benda max. tot 180 Deg. +/- 10
Front Hoop 4 bends max. or front down tubes: 2 bends max.

18.2 is 4 pages but basically says
1. Cage to be welded or bolted in
2. 6 point cage + 2 optional braces to firewall (8point Max)
3. Must have Main Hoop Diag Cross Brace + any number of additional interior braces allowed (full triangulated cage)
4. Front hoop intersects with side hoops to form a Halo, follows front pillars and top of windshield
5. A low front brace along dash to prevent engine encrouchment is recommended
6. Side braces (lateral door protection) recommended
7. 2 rear braces of main hoop mandatory
8. .08othick mounting plates if welded, 3/16 plus 3/16 backing plates if bolted, minimum 3 bolts
9. Each Mounting plates not greater than 100 square inches, no greater than 12" nor less than 2" per side
10.Bolts shall be grade 5 or better, 5/16 min dia.
11. Must have seat back brace

I think you can pull them off the SCCA web site in adobe but its best to just purchase the rule book and it is in fact necessary to have the rule book with you when you go to tech.

www.scca.org

You a very smart to check all this out before you put one in. Way to go. Good luck and good racing. Be Safe!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
The GCR is the.........

bible where road racing is concerned. Buy it, read it, live by it. I am about half way thru the process of installing a custom cage in my car for T1 competition.:cheers:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I`ve always wanted to cage my vettes...especially the convertables since they twisted so bad. MY question is who makes roll cages for the Z, and since i don`t weld, who will put one in for me, and how much approx will it cost?. I would prefer a decent type cage over just a loop. Other than I would like to try motor cross, with a car that is capable of the speeds this one is, i think safety(with good looks) is my primary concern.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I hope you thinking of......

.....Autocross and not Motocross. Ahhh....wait a minute isn't Motorcross what they call AutoCross in Europe????

Seriously check out the AutoPower Cages at
www.ioportracing.com

Doug Rippie has good systems but check for them being SCCA compliant.
www.dougrippie.com

Kirk will custom build on for you
www.kirkracing.com

Mattett will custom install a weld in cage for around $4,000.
www.mallettcars.com
Mallett's may seem expensive but they fit the best. I was there when the Chevy factory officials were there and watched them take about 400 Laser measurements inside the car to establish the specs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts