Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still debating whether to take my car T1 class racing or continue to run the somewhat safer open track days offered at most tracks around the country.
As I look to modify my car to make it more reliable on the track, I want to keep my modifications T1 class legal to keep my options open.
Right now I desire to install an engine and transmission oil cooler and buy a set of track wheels.
My copy of the GCR (still using the 2000 version, new one in the mail) shows the only option for oil coolers are the GM Motorsports parts (which I haven't read good things about).
In addition, it shows the only wheel options other than stock are 17x10 front and 17x11 rear.
So, for those of you who have already made the leap to T1, what oil and transmission coolers did you install and what kind of wheels do you recommend.
Thanks for the input.
Ffen

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
If you go T1...

....with the T1 Coolers you will :
1. need 2 units, one for the tranny and one for the diff.
2. The Factory units come with rubber lines, I would install Braided Stainless Steel lines on mine.
3. The earlier factory units come without a filter, the later ones have an in line filter. Use the filter. This protects the pump from early failure and might keep debries out of your units.
4. The factory units have an external thermocouple switch that senses the case temp. to triger the unit not the actual tranny/diff fluid to control the pump. If you want a better mechanism you can hard wire a switch to the cockpit and/or BAT, Inc has a nice add on fluid thermocouple/TStat
www.batinc.net
5. Doug Rippie and Mallet both will custom build tranny/diff coolers and engine oil coolers
www.dougrippie.com
www.mallettcars.com
6. Rippie also has a nice intragal racing radiator and engine oil cooler
7. Mallet has an oil /water heat exchanger that goes on the radiator outlet hose. This is the type of unit that Chevy uses on their C5R's
8. What is legal in T1 you will have to research carefully.

9. Most importantly, installing the GM Coolers or any other aftermarket for that matter will void the warranty

As to wheels for T1 I would look at BBS, Jongbloed, Kenesis, CCW, and Circle. There is also a new manufacturer Simmons from Australia. Some also useFikse or HRE's and Hickcock. You can also still purchase the Dymag Special Magnesium from Exotic Muscle but they are very expensive. If you have to ask how much you can't afford them. I think the best value /weight is Jonbbloed

Check the T1 rules but I think wheel manufacturer is open except that they have to conform to stock specs or the specs for the stock 17". Some feel the 17" are better because tire availability is better, you have a lower center of gravity and the smaller circumference helps the final gear ratio giving a little more acceleration. In addition with the allowed offset you may be able to get a little wider tire on a !7" and under the wheel well than with an 18". The only advantage I can see with an 18" is that the side wall may be a little shorter giving the tire a little more stability but I think that the trade off is a wider footprint and better final drive ratio with the 17"'s in the rear.

I know that with the correct offset you can run 315/30x17 with no problem where as I can run only 305/18x18. I have seen 335/30x17 in the rear but the car had minitubs. I'm not sure if that is legal in T1 and I don't have my book here with me. When I get home I will check.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJ,
Thanks for all the great info. You accurately summarized what I have gleamed after days of research!
I would love to install Rippie's integrated radiator/oil cooler and custom tranny and diff coolers but in the 2000 GCR they are not legal. Waiting for my 2002 copy to come in before I make any final decisions.
I may go with the 17 inch wheels based on the same logic train you spelled out.
Appreciate the help.
Ffen

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
T1 Link

You might also try asking these same questions on the
SCCA Forums board

www.sccaforums.com

There is a T1 specific section toward the bottom.

BTW all of the wheel manufacturers I have mentioned are in our links, you have to hunt for thwm in General, Corvette Products and Product manufacturers but they are in there.

I have a further personal recommendation:

Talk with Ton Reichel at Mid-Atlantic Motorsports

www.midatlanticmotorsport.com

tell him that Don Williams sent you.

"Hoosier Tom" has the wheels and tires.

I also saw a little bit ago that "Y2KHardtop" of this web site was selling a nice set of used Kenesis Wheels. Dave Farmer is a T1 racer. Talk to him.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don,
Thanks for the great info. I hadn't found the SCCA Forum yet.
Appreciate the time you put into the replies.
I will call Tom a call when I am ready to buy wheels.
Ffen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts