Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get to share with all of you the good and bad of the racer's point of view via my SCCA T1 Diaries. This is one entry that pains me to bring to you:

I took the weekend off to spend time with my family, the next few weeks are going to be quite hectic, both professional, personally and racing-wise. Just because I am physically away from the track doesn't mean I am "emotionally" distant.

This Sunday morning, just as I was getting dressed to go to Sunday mass, I get a call from my brother. Something happened bad to someone we know at a track Sunday.

I understand some of the details, but not all of them. I am not sharing much of what I know until the proper people are notified in the correct way.

All I can say is that sometimes we take our safety for granted. And we must always keep "up our guard" especially in times when we think the risk is low.

It is a sad, sad day in our little racing world.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
wow

sometimes I get so busy I forget to stop and be grateful for good health and life.

my thoughts and prayers will be with those involved

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some items:

At a SCCA driver's school held at Nelson Ledges a out of control race car hit a corner worker. The worker eventually died.

Corner workers are there for our (the racers) safety, they are not supposed to get hurt or killed.

I know this guy, not real well, but well enough. This is a serious blow to our little racing world.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
First; prayers for the family, Second a big thanks to all the workers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
SCCA Worker Glenn Miller Killed in On-Track Incident

SCCA Staff Writers

Glenn Miller
TOPEKA, Kan. (May 16, 2005) – Glenn Miller, of Cleveland, Ohio, a longtime Sports Car Club of America member and experienced corner worker, succumbed to injuries after being struck by a car Sunday during an SCCA Driver’s School at Nelson Ledges, a road racing course in Nelson, Ohio.

A continuous member since 1991, Miller, 58, was working as a volunteer member of the Lake Erie flagging and communications crew, an area-based group that serves to communicate course conditions to drivers and race stewards as well as assist in on-track incidents. An Acura driven by Kurt Niemeyer, of Cincinnati, spun, slid in wet grass and struck Miller, who was not behind positive protection at the time.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with Glenn’s family and friends,” SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson said. “It’s always difficult to lose one of our own, but particularly tragic when it is one of our ‘angels in white’—our SCCA corner workers.”

Miller is survived by his wife, Carol, and three children.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Absolutely horrible. Corner workers are so vulnerable, this racing tragedy reminds us how very, very attentive we need to be to the flaggers, the situation and the possibilities.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
tigerdrvr said:
Absolutely horrible. Corner workers are so vulnerable, this racing tragedy reminds us how very, very attentive we need to be to the flaggers, the situation and the possibilities.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Well said.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

·
Registered
744 Posts
Terrible, sad, news.

I just worked a corner myself the first time this weekend (part of licensing requirements at MWC). We were not well protected.

Hopefully, this tragedy will lead to improved provisions of barriers, etc. (and placement) of stations.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My heartfelt prayers go out to this poor man and his family...

These guys and gals are nothing short of heros in my book. Regardless of how protected they may be during routine running, these folks often put themselves in harms way to help a driver.

I will never forget that corner at Sebring 2 years ago. I blew by 2 flaggers, on fire, and this guy comes way out out of his station, waving a huge extinguisher above his head just a few feet off the track! I was coming hot into his corner and coming off the track... The guy never missed a beat. He took charge, had me open my hood while coaxing me out the car. Before I knew what was happening, he had the fire out.

God Bless this poor soul and every other person who bakes in the sun, trudges through the rain and mud, and puts their hides on the line to keep us and our cars safe, all for the Love of the Game....

:guiness:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts