Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Memphis Motorsports Park was the sight on a four Corvette race in Touring One.

Sunday's qualifying had these results:

1. Mike McGinley 1:13.628
2. David Pintaric 1:14.096
3. Brad Neff 1:14.580
5. Stanley Wilson 1:14.883

(there was an A/S in fourth, but not relevant to this story)

Stan is a former SSC and Touring Two driver who ran a World Challenge Viper last year.

The race started just about 11:00 AM, as we were Group One.

I got a good start as I krept into a small lead going down the front straight, but not as good as Stan Wilson, as he took the lead before the first turn...coming all the way from 5th! :jawdrop: what a pro move!

During Lap Three Brad passes me and gets Mike McGinley to take second. While Brad is doing this, I take advantage of an opening an pass Mike to stay in 3rd.

Two laps later Brad passes Stan for the lead, which turns out for the race. One lap later I get Stan going through the "90's" to take over second.

I hold onto second for the rest of the race until the lap last. A water main had broken, causing water to pour onto the racing surface going into Turn Seven, and fairly long right hand sweeper surronded by tire walls and cement barriers. The water was positioned perfectly: right in the braking and turn in zone.

This caused my to almost lose control, allowing Stan to gain at least 10 car lenghts on me and put him almost right on my bumper. He passed me for second on the first turn of the last lap. I tried in vain to repass him, but lapped cars got in the way.

Brad's car was smoking the last five laps, and Stan and I were catching him, but not fast enough. The water main issue caused our laps times to rise dramitically, it was a big factor in me not catching Brad and getting passed by Stan. Oh well, that's racing!

The final results are:

1. Brad Neff 1:14.151
2. Stan Wilson 1:14.630
3. David Pintaric 1:14.390
4. Mike McGinley 1:14.312

Margin of victory: 3.356 seconds

I had a great time. This race was good for boosting my confidence, as I ran with these guys for the whole race. For the first 8 laps we were a four Corvette "centiped" winding our way around the track.

I spoke with a tire distributor about a tire deal for me...maybe I will have something to announce in the next few weeks.

It was good to see everyone in Memphis. Chris Brannon, great guy. Got to know Mike McGinley and Jeff Kopp. Mike runs Superior Chevrolet in Kansas City, Jeff is his crew chief. Brad's brother-in-law Ray and his son Ray, Jr were a big help to him, and were willing to pitch in to assist me whenever I asked.

This was also another opportunity for me to spend some time with Brad's father. Dr. Bob, who I met at the Run Offs last year, is a great, great person. I hope to see him again real soon.

I also met forum member RobSan; too bad he showed up after the race. He would have enjoyed the show.

I will have in car videos sometime this week.

Next race: Summit Point April 2-3. See ya there! :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
Nice recap. It was really nice having you down here for the weekend to share my last race of the year.
I still have family in town, but will post a detailed perspective later this week. :cheers:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Brad:
Congratulations on your victory. I hope that you don't miss the track too much as you go into your training program.

David:
Thanks for the write-up. I hope that you enjoy a very satisfying and successful season in T1. I'll be following your results.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Congrats to Brad and David!
David,

I'm out of town April 2, but will see you at Summit on Sunday, the 3rd.

:z:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts