Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summit Point, WV and my first NorthEast Division race of the year.

I arrived Thursday afternoon just before 4:00 PM. My car was towed the track ahead of me and arrived late Wednesday. I took some time walking around seeing familar faces. I understand that fellow forum member "whosurdaddy"(sp?) stopped by my paddock, but before I arrived at the track. Sorry for missing you; I was hoping to meet you and put a face with a name.

Thursday night a bunch a T1 racers got together for dinner. Joe Aquilante, Andrew Aquilante, Bill Ziegler, Chip Ott and I all had a great time. One bad thing did happen: Judy Warren, a fellow T1 racer had a fairly major accident on the way to the track in her truck and trailer. I understand the truck is toast, but the car and trailer are fine. Judy is fine, also. I saw her walking around the paddock today and called her over to give her a hug...she needed it.

Friday was our test day. I had taken some notes from last year's race: my best qualifying time was 1:25.6 and my race time was 1:23.6. Both of these times were on brand new Kumho V710s, the 1st generation of the tire.

I go out Friday morning on old Goodyears and worn out PFC 01s just to re-learn the track. The car is slidding all over the place and I feel like I am clocking 2 minute laps times. After the 5th lap Sandi Kryder calls over the radio "best lap 1:25.8." Hmmm, I didn't think I was going fast, but oh well.

The next session is an hour later, so I go out after making some minor tire pressure changes, but still using the same old worn out tires and brakes. After the 4th lap I get a call on the radio "best lap 1:24.5." Hmmm...faster yet and I am not even trying.

I bring the car in to make another small tire pressure change in the front and go back out. Three laps later here comes Sandi Kryder on the radio "last lap 1:23.8." Time to bring the car in and makes some changes.

I learn the I am "roughly" second among the T1 drivers in attendance. Andrew Aquilante is running some high 1:21s. Good times, he is very talented. But my equipment needs freshening, so I am not worried.

I take the Goodyears off to put a set of "sticker" Kumhos on so I can get some heat in them before Sunday's race. Saturday's weather forecast is calling for rain so I need to do this now.

The Goodyear's are worn out, we through them in the "trash" pile.

I go out for six laps; one "out" lap nice and easy, and then succeddingly faster laps to bed the brakes in and get heat in tires.

The last lap is a "boring" drive, but the time is a 1:22.3. I watched the in-car video and it looks like a pleasant Sunday drive with my family. I will share it with everyone soon.

Got to go to dinner: more to come later.

T1 racing is the best!

·
Registered
355 Posts
David -
I was there for Seat Time on Thursday and enjoyed chatting with your crew while they were prepping another car. They were quite helpful. I recently switched to Syntec oil and was upset with 262 degree oil temps. Your crew chief put me at ease and I went back out to get my butt kicked by a couple of guys wearing race rubber. Now I'm thinking that I've got to buy some too - my self confidence can't take any more of that. The best I got with good ol' SuperCrappers was 1:29.

I left around 3:30 when our last session was cut short by an RX8 that zigged when it should have zagged and ended up sitting on top of the tire wall on the inside of turn 5's exit.

Sorry I missed you. Good luck this weekend.

·
21,354 Posts
Thanks for the run-down David. May the wind always be at your back and may your tires stick like glue! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
David,

I just got back from NJ (5:30 Saturday). It rained very hard almost the whole trip up and back on 95.

Did you run at SP today or was it washed out? If you are running tomorrow, I'll show up and say hi.

Great times!!!! Feeling like a Sunday drive? I think that translates to SMOOTH.

:z:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
WhosUrDaddy said:
I recently switched to Syntec oil and was upset with 262 degree oil temps.
While the Castrol Syntec is a good oil, be advised that it is a Group III, or highly refined petroleum based, synthetic oil, vice a Group IV PAO synthetic like Mobil 1 or AMSOIL or Group V ester based like Redline.

For track temps, I recommend that you stick with a PAO or ester based synthetic in your engine, tranny and diff as all three will see sustained oil temps over 250 degrees on the track.

The AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 meets GM Standard 4718M for the LS1/6 and has a slightly higher viscosity than does the Mobil 1 5w30.

AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30

David,
Nice report for day 1. Good luck today. Sorry to hear about Judy's woes but glad to read that she and the car weren't hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts