Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday and Tuesday of this coming week I am off to Pocono to attend the Bertil Roos "Rookie Camp."

After a little more than a year of T1 racing, I have decided to get my first taste of formal driving instruction. I have been running fairly well the last few races (Q2/F3 at Memphis; Q3/ran 2nd at Summit Point; Q2 at Gateway), but I'm about 3/4 to 1 second off the top driver of each race.

I need to learn some more skills and don't want to take years and years to do so, nor develop bad habits. This school will help me get better, faster.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What made you decide on Bertiil Roos over other schools?
Location, schedule, and Andrew Aquilante went there and has been kickin' my butt!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
A great choice. I went to at least five driver's schools over the last 20 years or so. All well worth the money.

Another low cost method of helping get seat time which really helps car control is karting. There may be some kart rental places up your way. There is one down in Arkansas that several of the local Memphis SCCA members went to last fall. We rented the whole track for a day and went out and had a blast.

Power to weight ratio of a good 2 cycle kart is very near what it is for a vette so the experience is close to that of what we are doing. It is actually more akin to Formula Car racing given how stiff they are. I find myself much more willing to throw the kart around than the vette given the lower speeds and less significant impact of messing up. Being able to push the kart gives me more confidence in my abilities in the Vette. :cheers:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts