Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad day at the track.

Sunday morning is National qualifying. I get to the track and prepare to go and try to be fast. Right off the bat things are not good: I left the radio on all night and hence the battery was dead. No communication with the crew, and this turns out to be significant.

Chris Brannon, a fast T2 driver and friend of mine offers to show me the fast line in qualifying, so I take him up on it. We do three laps with me following his Firebird, then I take off trying to use my new found knowledge.

Fourth lap I ran a 1:07.5, but I did not know it. Fifth lap was a bit slower but still good. Start of Lap Six things turned bad, real bad. I exited Turn One and did not "let the car out" properly, causing the car to swap ends. The car hit the CEMENT WALL with the nose first and then backing into the wall with the rear passenger wheel.

Matt Miller of Kryderacing, Inc. patched the car together (Humpty Dumpty comes to mind...) so I could ran half the race laps and collect my points. Good job, Matt!

The car needs alot of work: front and rear passenger fenders, nose, tail, two wheel outers (at least), read A-arms and tie rods, and maybe the frame is tweeked.

Tough day at the track, indeed. But all this is to do is get the car fixed for my next race at Nelson Ledges on Memorial Day weekend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear about that David. It sucks when the racecar that we know we will bang up actually gets banged up.

Good luck getting it back together for your race @ NL.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Tough luck, David. Better luck next week. Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wow David. Sorry to hear about the car but glad to hear you are ok. Are you thinking of changing your car's color?

We'll definitely have to meet up this year.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ouch... Gateway bites another one. That turn is fairly risky, especially given the concrete and the limited distance from the track to the concrete.

Sorry to hear this David. But, impressive you got a finish after that mishap in qualifying. Sincerely hope the frame is straight. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey David, bad luck. Glad you are OK. The next race in my series is at Milwaukee Mile, which is oval with infield, and concrete walls (like Gateway is apparently). I need to do a corner working day to get my full comp license (and 5 more races), and am choosing this one as the one I work a corner.

I drove MM before on a lapping day, but again, don't like the walls. Your experience reinforces it.

The key is you are OK.

One other hint - you are a finance guy - do a "mental amortization". Divide your dollar damage by your total number of races / events, to do a per event.

I've tried this myself for past and recent damage - my wife didn't buy it!! But I tried! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One other hint - you are a finance guy - do a "mental amortization". Divide your dollar damage by your total number of races / events, to do a per event.
Aaron, I don't like to 'add the money" up that I spend on racing. It would make me sick. Then again I realize that this is a great "release" for me and makes me better at what I do. Trust me, my salesforce doesn't want me retiring, so this racing gig just pushes that date back a year or two.

I put a mental budget on racing at the beginning of the year, and one of these is included. So I am mentally prepared. I'd rather not shell out the money, but I am prepared to at the beginning.

Really these cars are pretyy reasonable to fix and strong too. There wasn't any major damage, just body panels. Fenders are pretty cheap on Vette, somewhere around $350 per...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, it can be manageable if you find the right body guy. My damage was est. at $2700 by my usual "insurance" shop. A friend recommended another guy who did a fine job for $1200. $1200 is still a chunk, but not as bad as I thought when the guy first hit me...

Hope your car is back to looking pretty soon :jammin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts