Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watkins Glen is a neat place to race! Kinda spooky in places, but a heck of a fun track to drive!

I went out for warm-ups early in morning to check out our work. The brakes felt really, really bad to me, so I did not finish a lap and brought the car back into the pits. This turned out to be a major mistake later in the morning.

We bled the brakes, the pedal felt a bit better, and we crossed our fingers.

I was gridded fourth, and took the green behind AJ Aquilante and next to Dave Roush. My good friend and nemisis Bob Kahn started 5th, with Scotty White in his Viper right behind me.

The green flag dropped and I got a jump on Dave Roush: my car makes really good mid-range torque. Unfortunately I started braking earlier than he did, so he entered Turn One with the advantage. I followed him (he was behind Heinricy and Aquilante) up through the Esses at wide-open throttle (wooo weee!).

We entered the Bus Stop as a 4 car nose-to-tail train, what a sight!

Going into Turn Six, entering the top of "The Boot" is when things turned bad for me. I came in hotter than I expected, and the brakes did not feel the same. The result was me loosing it into the tire wall at the end of Turn Six.

This knocked me from 4th to 11th in class, and who knows where overall. I had no idea what condition the car was in, but I was mad as heck, also a bit embarrassed. I gave chase to try and catch some of the people who got by my. BTW: thank goodness no one else was involved in this incident.

I started catching, then passing T1 cars after about three laps. I got back to about 9th when a full course yellow came out. This was a good break for me.

When went green after 3-4 laps, I immediately lost a position to John Yarocz in his new-to-him C6 (AJ's car from Beaverun). But I got that position back, and then some. I ultimately finished 6th in class and overall. 11th to 6th is alot of fun, but I'd rather go 4th to 5th...

I was a bit concerned about one pass: I caught Scotty White entering the "Bus Stop." When I turned into the righ hander, I saw out of the corner of my eye a yellow flag. I then thought I had passed under yellow. Ultimately this turned out to be not true, or at least I was not caught!

Another pass brought some anger towards me: entering Turn Nine I dove under a T1 Vette for position. I never touched him, but with me going under him, he got into the marbles and lost it into the tire wall. He was a bit angry at me to say the least. He told me several times in the paddock after the race that "no one passes in that turn!" While I hate to be the cause of another racer losing it, I also don't think I am responsible if he losses it when I go by him. I think it was a clean pass, I just think I surprised him.

I don't have official results as I left before they were released. But this is what I remember:

1. John Heinricy
2. Bob Kahn
3. Dave Roush
4. Andrew Aquilante
5. Chip Ott
6. David Pintaric
7. John Yarocz

I don't know anymore at this time, but will update as soon as I can.

Next race: Pocono in August.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
David,

Not to worry. If you out braked him, out positioned him and made a clean pass then he has to yield. If in yielding he gets in the marbles late in the race) and looses control, that is NOT your fault. It is his fault.

ALL turns and straights are legal passing zones under green and always have been.

What he is really saying is:

"You suprised me, caught me off guard and I lost control. For some stupid reason I assumed nobody would attempt to pass me in a race.
I'm an idiot and incapable of blaming myself for my own stupid mistake."

The reason he thought nobody would pass in that turn is that it is beyond his capability to do so, as evidenced by his loss of control.

He is mad at himself, frustrated, a bit jealous and embarrased and trying to blame anyone but himself. He will get over it.

Just keep an eye on the rearview mirror.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just keep an eye on the rearview mirror
I will do my best to keep him in my mirror.

Some random thoughts from the weekend:

Running up the "esses" inches from another T1 Vette is unreal! EVERYONE who owns a Corvette should experience this!

The corner workers manning the station where I went into the tire wall gave me very enthusiastic applause when we in the cool-off lap. I think they were impressed at my "after spin" performance!

I really like these new Hoosier race tires.

Watkins Glen is a very beautiful track, but the surrounding area is a bit rustic.

We were scheduled to race for 14 laps, but the flagger missed giving JH the checkered on the 14th lap, so we got a "bonus" 15th lap. Good thing scoring reverted to the 14th lap, as I was passed for 6th on the extra lap.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
I'm glad to see you haven't lost your touch for keeping things exciting... :D

Congrats on getting back up to 6th after falling to 11th. That is a very respectible finish in that field.

Did the car suffer much damage in the tire wall? How did the brakes hold up after all the work?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the car suffer much damage in the tire wall?
Not really, although I need to get a new rear bumper cover and some taillights. Maybe the driver's side rear fender needs replaced, as there is a crack over the wheels. The worst is the tailpipes, they were bent all the way to the left.

How did the brakes hold up after all the work?
Only "OK," I think the brakes were the cause of the incident (not operator error :bang: )

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice drive (Bounce) new knick name maybe.

·
Registered
744 Posts
David -

So where are you in the standings now?

When you say T1 cars, that implies other classes in the race...who is it? T2? Any others?

Aaron

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aaron, our group included T1, T2, SSB and SSC. 51 cars in total.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David Pintaric said:
Not really, although I need to get a new rear bumper cover and some taillights. Maybe the driver's side rear fender needs replaced, as there is a crack over the wheels. The worst is the tailpipes, they were bent all the way to the left.
Glad to hear it was only the rear facia, tail lights, driver's side rear fender, and the tailpipes... wait... that's a two race budget for me. :lol:

You might want to check the front spindle to make sure it wasn't damaged when the brake bracket broke. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts