Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big field at the Finger Lakes Region's The Glen National.

I am visiting fabled Watkins Glen for the first time. This is a very intimidating track!

Results of T1 qualifying are:

1.John Heinricy 2:04.378 C5
2. Andrew Aquilante 2:05.910 C5
3. David Roush 2:06.061 C5
4. David Pintaric 2:08.098 C5
5. Robert Kahn 2:08.200 C5
6. Scotty White 2:08.813 Viper
7. Evan Kesselman 2:09.281 C5
8. Peter Kulka 2:09.422 C5
9. Chip Ott 2:09.797 C5
10. John Yaraocz (C6) 2:10.736 (1st time in the car was this session)
11. Clifford Murray 2:11.211 C5
12. Dan Kahn 2:11.233 C5
13. Jason Berkeley 2:12.391 C5
14. Ryan Snodgrass 2:13.047 C5
15. Judi Warren 2:14.642 C5
16. Hal Kahn 2:25.746 C5

I posted my time in the first session of the day. I ran about 11 laps on Friday before the downpour, so I am still really "new" to this track. When I exited the track and stopped in the pits for tire temps and pressures, I heard a loud "thunk." Everything looked OK, but when we were done, I tried moving forward and the car would not go.

After looking over things, it turned out that the right front caliper broke off from the suspension knuckle at the upper mounting bolt. It broke on the last lap, and thank goodness I only did a 3/4 speed lap. I am VERY lucky this did not happen and cause more damage and loss of control of the car. My luck is turning! :jammin:

I did have to drive 1 3/4 hours to Williamsport, PA to pick up the replacement part, so I missed the afternoon session. My first session was on a green track and three heat-cycle tires; the second session "shoulda" been faster because I would have been on faster track with new "sticker" tires.

This was just another instance of me getting my money's worth out of each race weekend. I never, ever have a "ho hum" race weekend, right Brad? :thumb:

Tomorrow, the race!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
Wow. Very nice job posting 4th fastest time in that field. Good luck tomorrow.

What broke on the caliper mount? The bolt or the bracket itself? Glad to hear it didn't fail catastrophically on the track which would have been ugly.

Say hi to everyone for me. :cheers:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice position. You should have some rabbits to chase starting in the second row.

I notice they are all C5's. Look's like Scotty isn't up to speed with the Viper yet. What happen to Cindi Lux?

What the heck makes JH so fast?. Just more seat time on these tracks or does he have a secret weapon and No Fear what so ever

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One C6 and one Viper.

Cindi broke three ribs at the June Sprints, the pain kept her from racing.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow. Very nice job posting 4th fastest time in that field. Good luck tomorrow.
Yes, and no. While I am happy to be gridded fourth, I did that lap on only my 16th lap around the track, and on old tires. So, I "know" there is more to gain. I am pretty sure I would not improve my position, but I would feel a bit more confident about the race.

What broke on the caliper mount? The bolt or the bracket itself?
The bracket ("knuckle") itselt, right at the upper mounting bolt. The caliper just fell down/backward into the wheel and really messed things up.

Glad to hear it didn't fail catastrophically on the track which would have been ugly.
No kidding. I might not be here if it broken in certain parts of this track. I keep telling you that my luck is getting better!

What the heck makes JH so fast?. Just more seat time on these tracks or does he have a secret weapon and No Fear what so ever
John has a great deal of natural ability, combined with much seat time, and added with his knowledge of race cars. That is what makes him so fast. He just KNOWS what there cars will do and not do. Simple as that. Guys like me are still searching...

·
Registered
744 Posts
David -

Nice qualifying time. It struck me in looking at the times that there is quite a spread of times, among (theoretically) similarly prepped cars.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice qualifying time. It struck me in looking at the times that there is quite a spread of times, among (theoretically) similarly prepped cars.
Aaron, in my opinion, I really expected to run faster in the second session, but never got the chance to because of mechanical problems. I am certain that I would have run in the 2:06s on fresh tires.

Oh well, there is always next year's race.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts