Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mid Ohio is the site of my last SCCA National race for 2005. This race begins my preparation for the Run Offs next month.

I arrive at the track Friday to set up my paddock, register and go through "tech." Our classes' (plus T2) Annual Tech Inspection has been waived for this event, meaning I need to take the car over and have it looked at. The process was mostly uneventful other than having Freddy Baker backing into my car with his Porsche 911 GT3. No damage done at all, but it certainly broke the boredom.

Saturday morning was my first time on Mid Ohio since last September's Run Offs. After racing at Pocono two weeks ago and Watkins Glen earlier in the month, Mid Ohio sure seems slow! The first session is practice only, so the times don't count for qualifying. I ran a 1:39.4, which is about 1/2 second faster than my best ever. This places me eighth in the T1 grid, not exactly where I want to be, but nobody in front of me is what I consider "slow:" AJ, Lance Knupp, Pete Looby, Freddy Baker, Scotty White, Cindi Lux and Dave Roush. Not bad company to follow! I was about .50-.75 seconds from the heart of this group, since I went out on old tires and had not been on the track for awhile I did not feel too poorly about the effort. New tires and some more driving effort should close that gap substantially, but the pole was a full 2 seconds away, so I still have some skills to develop.

The afternoon session was a cluster... Earlier in the afternoon a heavy rain hit the track. It dried off for awhile, and we all went to the False Grid on dry tires. I screwed up by being a bit late in getting in line, and was behind several T2 and A/S cars (slower classes), plus a few slower T1 competitors. This became significant very soon.

We get the "1 minute to go" signal and drops of rain start hitting my windshield. The rain holds off for about 5 minutes of the 25 minute session. This allows me 3 laps before the heavens open up. These three laps were all occupied passing slower class cars. The end result is that I end up 12th overall on the grid, 9th in class. I am behind three A/S cars driven by Ed Hosni, John Heinricy and Andy McDermit, all high level drivers. I will be able to get around them, but I don't want to affect their race. I spoke with JH about this issue after the grid was released, and he said that we'd have no problems and that I should be by them after the first long straight: we will see.

I am "highly aggravated" at where I am starting tomorrow. I feel like a "man on a mission." This should be fun chasing so many cars.

BTW: the pole is held by Scotty White driving a Viper 1 full second under the track record. 2nd is AJ also in a Viper. Third is Lance Knupp driving the wheels off his C5, fourth is Cindi Lux in (guess what?) a Viper. Folks, the Viper does not belong in T1. There is no reasonable way to handicap that 500 CI monster.

Tomorrow is the race, woo hoo!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good luck David. I'm skipping my first MWC race of the year today. I'm in second, and the first place guy may skip one, may also be uncatchable. I'm sick, and been traveling a bunch. Just hanging with the family this weekend. We are at Gingerman on Sept. 3....

Aaron

·
Registered
620 Posts
David,
For this national race are you running the pro course (no chicane before the keyhole) or the normal course?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We are using the Club Course (with chicane). The Pro Course is only used at the Run Offs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
David, sorry I didn't make it down there this past weekend. I had been looking forward to meeting up with you all year but it didn't work out. Hopefully next year will be better.

I hope all well on Sunday.

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts