Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NeOhio's Buckeye Sprint is the last National race before the Run Offs. I waited to post my report so I don't sound too negative...

I started 12th on the grid, 9th in class and behind three A/S cars, one driven by John Hienricy, the other by Andy McDermid. These guys are good, but I should have been ahead of them in qualifying. Oh well.

The start was clean, I got in front of the 8th place T1 C6 Vette driven by Ed Amonson. I went through Turn One behind two A/S cars, but one was a bit more aggressive than I and got ahead of me. Oh well, again.

Going into Turn Seven, the #1 qualifying T1 Viper of Scotty White was going real slow. I went by him llike he was in reverse. It turns out he missed a shift trying to go from 4th to 3rd and caught 1st instead. :eek:o: No damage to the engine, but I bet it scared the heck out of him. Suddenly I am in 7ht place before the first lap is finished! :thumb:

Lap two we get a Full Course Yellow. A T2 Firebird driven by Bryan Viviani blew its motor and the car was stuck in the middle of the track. So we follow each other around the track for 2 laps. I still have two A/S cars to get around, but I can see the 6th place Porsche of Freddy Baker right in front of them.

We go green on Lap Five and I get around one more A/S car before Turn One, I chase up into The Keyhole setting up the front runner in A/S, but cannot get around him before Turn Seven. Coming up to Turn One one lap later I get my nose in front of him, but Scotty White and his big bad Viper gets by me, also. For a moment we are three wide going into Turn One. Kudos to SBW and Andy McDermid for making this happen safely: Andy and I rub a bit, but no marks on my car and I doubt any on his.

I chase after the Viper but he is gone. Despite what Scotty keeps saying, I still think those cars are "awesome fast" and a killer in this class. I try to set my sites on Freddy Baker, but my tires start going away and I start dropping back.

After reviewing my in-car video, I was encouraged that while my tires were working, I was keeping up with the lead group of cars.

I slip and slide around the track trying to get something going, but only succeed in slowing down Andy McDermid who was leading A/S in front of John Heinricy (I told you Andy was good!). He gets his car's nose under me once coming out the Carousel and I cut him off, almost knocking him off the track. I see this in my mirror and decide next time he gets up to me I am going to let him go. I had been driving my own line, but aware that he was catching me. I did not wave him by because he had no one behind him. If he was racing with someone, I would have let them both go.

My tires really went away, because there is no way I should be holding up A/S cars. I know I need to develop more driving talent, but c'mon! This is a T1 Vette!

Next to last lap I almost lose control of the car completely in Turn Eight, catching it but going off-course a bit. This causes me to lose a place to Ed Amonson, so I finish in 7th place.

How'd this happen? Andrew Aquilante and Lance Knupp both DNF'd because of mechanical woes.

One nice note to pass on: three SS/C drivers who I have befriended this year, Mike Oliver, Rob Piekarczyk and Bret Mars, stayed to watch my race. They all were in race group one, so thier day was done early. I was in Group Six, so they stayed virtually all day to watch me. My wife and daughter, my nephew, my wife's cousin and her family, my mom and dad, plus some friends from Columbus all were there. Before the race this all got to me and caused me to be a bit emotional. I was touched by this show of support.

So my 2005 SCCA regular season is over. I think I gained some mmore driving skills. I know my mental approach has improved (not so wound up). I am having the car rebuilt for the Run Offs. New calipers, rotors, bearings, a-arms, shocks, springs, a whole bunch of stuff, is going on the car. September 19th will come very soon.

This T1 racing is great stuff!

·
Registered
46 Posts
David Pintaric said:
I chase after the Viper but he is gone. Despite what Scotty keeps saying, I still think those cars are "awesome fast" and a killer in this class.
Hey David, just a couple quick notes and ideas...

Wouldn't JH have "been gone" had he gone by you in any car?

On Friday when JH drove the black Viper which was consistantly 3 to 5mph faster than "ANY" of us other T1 cars including our Silver Vipers down the back straight I was faster than him by .5 in the morning and slower by .1 in the afternoon"

I have been faster than JH in WCGT in equal well scrutinized Corvettes more than once...

I submit that I would have been "gone" no matter what I was driving...

It just might be the man and the team and not the car...

Make no mistake David, I still love Corvettes, I am just racing Vipers now, and the whole time I raced Corvettes I loved Vipers, and Porsches, and Bimmers, and Mustangs, and Camaros, and formula Atlantics etc... I just dig hot rods of all kinds and switching to Vipers hasn't changed that...

Nor has it changed the NayKid crew's ability to put a stellar car on track to compete at the front of the pack...

Go watch the video and see which cars hit their marks every lap. That means 2 things, both the car AND the driver have the ability to do so...

Peace :jammin:

and BTW, nice job with the diary. I always enjoyed reading it when Brad did it and I enjoy reading it when you do it and Iam sure these guys appreciate it too :cheers:

sbw

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scotty,

You and I agree on this (and not only this): you hit your marks (except for the missed shift) and you would have beat me in a Vette, even my own car.

You and I disagree about the performance of the Viper compared to the C5 Z06. With you in a Viper and me in a Vette, that is only natural.

I would imagine I'd do the same if the roles were reversed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
David you are doing well for your second year keep pushing and hitting the marks. Is the Viper a better car? We will see come Sept. I plan on beating them and you should 2. Let the games begin.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Go watch the video and see which cars hit their marks every lap.
I can't! You are too far in front of me to catch on video. :eek2:

and BTW, nice job with the diary. I always enjoyed reading it when Brad did it and I enjoy reading it when you do it and Iam sure these guys appreciate it too
I only wonder how much appreciation I would recieve when/if I am driving a Viper?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe that viper in Tx is for David.
No, not me. If I do a Viper, it won't be until during the off-season, and then I doubt if at all. I still need to work on improving my driving ability, and switching cars won't help that process.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
As Scotty said, thanks for putting your race to words for us. I've enjoyed reading about your season from afar this year, it has helped me feel in touch with all my friends in T1 as I bop all over the place for training.

So what's JH going to run in the Runoffs this year? C5 Z06 or C6? Did he actually race a Viper this year???

·
Registered
77 Posts
Subdriver said:
David,
So what's JH going to run in the Runoffs this year? C5 Z06 or C6? Did he actually race a Viper this year???
No one is sure but my guess is C6 and AJ will be in the Viper. JH did run the Viper at Pocono (see sccaforums for that discussion)

Jeremy Lucas
T2 #74 S2000

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gee Dave, no mention of my start from 7th and run to the front by lap 13 or how about that 21 second margin of victory? and all of that on Kumho Tires that lasted the entire race!

Thanks to RSIG!!! :cheers:

Dave Roush #13 RSIG Z06 Corvette

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So what's JH going to run in the Runoffs this year? C5 Z06 or C6?
My guess? C5 Z06. Joe says he will race whatever is faster.

Gee Dave, no mention of my start from 7th and run to the front by lap 13 or how about that 21 second margin of victory? and all of that on Kumho Tires that lasted the entire race!
Sorry, Roushie, but this is MY diary! :)

To tell the truth, I did not realize you did all that. Yes, I knew you won (duh!), but did not know you caught the leaders by Lap 13. I guess Mid Ohio really is your house!

As an update on my situation: when SBW, Andy McDermid and I went through Turn One together, Andy & I touched front tires. I had no "toe out" on the right side of my front end. I think that contributed to the very bad "pushing" experience I had. Watching the in-car video is painful...after lap 5 the car will not turn. Going into and through The Keyhole, Turn Seven, Turn 11, and The Carousel, I can really see where all my time was wasted snow-plowing ahead.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just tootin' my horn and had to get that in.

Once the car begins to push it is like a catch 22.

The more it pushes the more you miss your apex the more you turn in and as the tire gets greasier the more it pushes the more you miss your apex the more you turn and as the tire gets greasier the more it pushes......

Looking forward to the Runoffs with Team RSIG :drunken:

Dave Roush #13 RSIG Z06 Corvette

1 - 14 of 14 Posts