Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pocono is the site of a double SCCA National: two races in one weekend! yeehaw!

I made a poor effort in qualifying and ended up gridded sixth in class and overall. This is my worst qualifying position all year. Ahead of me were (in order) John Heinricy, Andrew Aquilante, Joe Aquilante, Bob Kahn and Pete Kulka.

At the start I got a good jump and entered Turn One in fourth place right behind Kahn. This order stayed this way for 10-11 laps (I have to check my in-car video to count the laps) until my engine ran hot and the computer put the car in "limp mode." This caused me to lose 4th (and potentially 2nd or 3rd) place, I eventually finished 8th.

Positives: no damage to the car, and lots of good driving experience. Bob Kahn and I ran nose-to-tail for the entire time I was out there, Joe Aquilante was right behind us, and AJ was within striking distance of Bob and I. In fact, if I could have managed my way past Bob, I think I could have put pressure on The Kid.

I was watching my in-car last night after getting home, and at one point I was wondering if AJ was just "strokin'" around the track. Right after that thought came to my mind, I see AJ almost losing control in Turn One and raising lots of dust from going two-wheels off. So maybe he was pushing it harder than I thought.

Negatives: nobody likes a DNF, that's for sure. Plus with me not improving on my 6th place finish at The Glen, and Bob Kahn and Pete Kulka doing fairly well, I am finishing the 2005 season in 4th place in the NorthEast Division T1 standings. I hoped for a 2nd place points finish (AJ was WAY out front!).

Biggest plus: Sunday's race was very emotionally satisfying. While Saturday's race was better result-wise, it was also somewhat boring. Sunday's results are disappointing, but the racing was fantastic!

Below are the results from Sunday's race:

1. John Heinricy- Viper 1:39.44
2. AJ Aqualante- C5 1:41.934
3. Joe Aqualante-C6 1:42.333
4. Bob Kahn- C5 1:42.048
5. Evan Kesselman- C5 1:42.280
6. Pete Kulka- C5 1:43.698
7. Cliff Murry- C5 1:44.196
8. Dave Pintaric- C5 1:42.076 * Not running at finish
9. Judy Warren - C5 1:47.378
DNF Jason Berkeley (contact in turn 1 on lap 1- shredded tire)

Now I plan to race at Mid-Ohio in two weeks. Then we rebuild the suspension to freshen it up, go to Mid-Ohio Sept 10-11 for a regional race, then go right into the Run Offs.

I am planning on racing in the ARRC at Road Atlanta in November. This could be a big TCC/T1 race. Mark your calandars!

·
Registered
271 Posts
David:
You have John Heinricy finishing first in a Viper in your results. This has to be a mistake! I can't imagine JH driving brand X. Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

It is so. I think this is one of those "one time only" deals to see how good/bad the car is. Trust me, the Viper is good, and bad for the Corvettes.

·
Banned
809 Posts
David Pintaric said:
Dave,

It is so. I think this is one of those "one time only" deals to see how good/bad the car is. Trust me, the Viper is good, and bad for the Corvettes.
Interesting! I'm actually glad that Heinricy got to race a Viper. Maybe he can take the good things from the Viper and incorporate them into the Corvette. :D

That's too bad about DNF. At least it's not a blown engine or damage from an incident

I assume that you've qualified for the Run offs then since you said that you were going? If so, congrats! I really wish that they'd televise the Run off's live. I really hate waiting until the holidays to see them. Maybe I'll have to make a road trip to Mid-Ohio this year.

Sal

·
Registered
61 Posts
salvador said:
Interesting! I'm actually glad that Heinricy got to race a Viper. Maybe he can take the good things from the Viper and incorporate them into the Corvette. :D

That's too bad about DNF. At least it's not a blown engine or damage from an incident

I assume that you've qualified for the Run offs then since you said that you were going? If so, congrats! I really wish that they'd televise the Run off's live. I really hate waiting until the holidays to see them. Maybe I'll have to make a road trip to Mid-Ohio this year.

Sal

Are you thinking of a 10 cylinder Corvette?

·
Banned
809 Posts
seege said:
Are you thinking of a 10 cylinder Corvette?
No. There's more to a race car than the engine. ;)

What I'd really love to see is a GM produced race car. The Viper Comp Coupe is a factory built race car. Porsche builds factory race cars as well. All of the Corvette race cars you see out there are built by privateers with the exception of the C5-R and C6.R.

Sal

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the new Z06 may fit that bill pretty closely.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The C6 Z06 is the "peer" to the Viper is horsepower and torque, despite it having a 427 ci engine vs 500 ci.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts