Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 SCCA T1 season kicks off next week in beautiful Memphis, TN as I travel south to race with our own "subdriver" Brad Neff. This may be the last time in quite awhile that he and I are on track together as he is going to be tied up by the government for a few months.

I arrived home late last night after taking delivery of my race car. The car spent four weeks at Phoenix Performance getting in shape for the upcoming season. A new 2004 crate motor was put between the fenders, also a new clutch, and new suspension pieces (shocks, A-arms, etc). Joe & Co then set up the suspension for me. Everything looks pretty good, man that car looked good sitting in the bright eastern PA sun!

I fly out of Canton Akron Airport Thursday afternoon to meet my crew in Memphis. I will do the test n tune session on Friday. This is to learn the track, learn how to drive again, and find any "lose items" on the mostly rebuilt race car.

Saturday will be e regional race. I plan on running that to get more seat time.

Sunday morning is National race qualifying, race later in the day. T1 is Group 1, so I am pretty sure that I will be done before lunch. Hopefully I get to stay at least a 1/2 hour after the race in impound!

I am hoping for rain on Sunday, but will accept sunny and 60 degree weather! :crazy:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David,
Looks like your car has gone through some serious upgrades since I saw it last. Didn't you get one of those fancy new Phoenix exhaust systems as well? Did your Kodiak's show up yet?

I patched together a poor man's version of Phoenix' new exhaust before TWS by cutting and inserting a Corsa x-pipe aft of the cats. I'll likely get one of the new Phoenix exhausts later this year.

Extended forecast is showing mid 60s and party cloudy so I unmounted my rains and mounted up a set of new Kumho V710s. My second set of CCWs has a set of Kumhos that I have sold, so I still need to get to the tire shop and dismount those and mount up a practice/regional set. Probably will use a set of my barely used GS-CS tires.

Other than a new motor, I'll be bringing my same tired old jewel to the race next weekend. Planning on hitting the garage myself today:
- new rotors
- new Carbotech XP11 front, XP10 rear pads
- bleed brakes
- tranny and diff fluid change
- alignment for Memphis
- corner weighting

Only thing I had time for last weekend was an oil change. This weekend not looking much better time wise as I fly to DC tomorrow for the last time for my current job with Navy Recruiting.

Looking forward to seeing you again. I've got the whole gang coming in for this one; my and Anita's dads, Raymond and his whole family including their oldest son, and another nephew coming up from Texas with my father-in-law. I love it when they come to town, I can actually think about driving instead of all the stuff that needs to be done to the car.

See you Friday. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is the new Phoenix exhaust?
Don't apologize, no need.

Phoenix Performance, the company that builds our cars, has developed their own cat back race exhaust system. It is generally not available on the "open" market, ie catologues, etc. But Phoenix will build anyone a system if they ask...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One a difference a year makes...

Wow, what a difference between 2004 and 2005: last year I was counting down the days starting 2 months in advance, sorta like a grade school kid again. This year, I am much more relaxed about the start of the season. Hope this means something good...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did your Kodiak's show up yet?
No, they have not as of yet. I think Kodiak is making them thi week (3/17). Joe has loaned me two sets of his wheels so I have something to use this weekend. I am down to my last set of CCWs. I cannot go to a race with only one set of wheels, can I?

I hope to have the new Kodiaks for the Summit Point race held the first weekend of April.

See you Friday, Brad.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
David Pintaric said:
I cannot go to a race with only one set of wheels, can I?
I somehow managed the first half of my first season. :p

I may not be losing sleep over the race, but I sure am looking forward to it. See you Friday. :cheers:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts