Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I attended the weekly Corvette gathering this past Saturday (we had 14 Corvettes show up) and was talking with some C5Z06 owners when this young kid in a brand new Mustang Shelby GT500 kept driving by and revving his engine. After which seemed like 4 or 5 drive-by's our gathering, he decided to pull in and parked away from the Corvette (a good thing lol.) A couple of the guys walked over to check it out, but I didn’t go over as I was to busy instructing the C5Z06 owners on the “turkey baster” method for cleaning out the filthy clutch fluid they both had. Their fluid looked like motor oil, yuk. These are new C5Z06 owners and they have a lot to learn.

Anyway, we hang out for about an hour, have some coffee and bs about our cars. Everyone started to leave around 11:00 am as the temps were approaching 90 (yes, this is Yuma, Az. in the summer time.)

I took the back way out of the parking lot and got in line at the red light (about 3 cars ahead of me). I hear some noise behind me and lo and behold, it’s the GT500 behind me revving the engine. I chuckled to myself as the revving became louder.

The light changed and I took off real slow and short shifted as not to make a lot of noise with my car (my GHL magnums really start to sing above 3,000 rpm.) I didn’t want to scare him. Lol. A lot of traffic, but finally we managed to get clear of traffic and both were first at the next red light. I was in the fast lane and he was in the slow lane. I calmly pushed the traction control button into competitive mode. I was a little apprehensive as I had heard that these GT500's had like 550 hp etc. I knew that they were heavy but ???

I usually don’t do this in town, but this youngster needed to see what a Z06 could do (he probably thought that this was a normal Corvette). We both looked both ways to see if anyone was around and both nodded to each other. When the light changed, we rolled though the intersection and hammered it. He was even with me (I believe it was an automatic) through 1st but when I shifted at 6500 rpm into 2nd it was bye-bye. I power shifted 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and the Hurst performed flawlessly, nailed both shifts. About halfway into 2nd gear I could see his “little snake” emblem in the front grill through my passenger side window mirror and he got to see my C5Z06’s fat rear!.lol

I slowed down because of traffic and when we got to the next light, he was in the left hand turn lane and I was in the slow lane making a right hand turn to head home. I looked over at him with a big grin on my face and he would not even look or turn my way. I guess he felt ashamed that an old man had schooled him in his brand new GT500. :lol::lol:

·
9,755 Posts
:gjob: Tom! Youth & enthusiasm is no match for old age & treachery :lol: (NOT that you are old bro) :D

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Nice kill Tom! :yeadog: The GT500's are fat pigs! My friend Steve's kid has one here and it's pullied and has a meth kit. He was at the Pueblo track the day I went this spring and the best he could manage with drag radials on it was a 12.2 at 118,,,that's a full second and 9mph slower than my NA beast,,,,,when will these guys learn that racing is all about power to weight ratio??????:screwy: Don't get me wrong, I actually like the GT500's, but they are not in the same league as the Z06 even though they cost almost as much. Now the Ford GT,,,that is an entirely different story! :eek2:

Jimbo

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments guys. They really are a neat looking car and I can see why a lot of the younger guys go for them.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Ha-ha

·
10,998 Posts
Great story. You inspire me. One of my other cars is a Mustang and the next time I go to my Mustang Club meeting I will drive my Z06 and show the flag as it were. Maybe the sound from my long tube headers and other mods will give them pause so they don't try to pick on us 'more seasoned' senior drivers. :lol: :z:

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I love hearing stories like this because they give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :). Nice kill Tom :yeadog: I agree with Bob, for the most part at least, unless the youngster is driving a moddified Z06 as well :lol:. I love beating cocky middle aged guys that ride around with golddiggers and decide they're going to impress their girlfriend that's 3 years older than me with their brand new 370Z or 2010 Mustang GT or something like that. They get more than they bargained for needless to say, and it's especially funny when they don't look at you after you beat them but their girlfriend does and starts laughing at them :yeadog:.

·
10,998 Posts
I remember the other day, a guy pullled up beside me in his F1 and when the light turned green, we.....oh, wait a second, that wasn't me.

Never mind :blush:

Mike
Are you doing Makers Mark during the daytime again :drunken: :gjob:

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Awesome "Short Story" buddy. You should post your "Lesson" on the Mustang forums and call him out. Hahahaha..... "I was minding my business when this kid in a new GT 500....."

Awesome Kill!!!

I had a similiar story just the other day...Except I smoked a Tahoe with my Yukon. Hahahaha

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should post your "Lesson" on the Mustang forums and call him out. Hahahaha..... "I was minding my business when this kid in a new GT 500....."

Awesome Kill!!!
Thanks, but there's no need to do that. It's more fun when they find out themselves in person. :yeadog::yeadog::yeadog:

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
:thumb: Tom ...
" ... but this youngster needed to see what a Z06 could do (he probably thought that this was a normal Corvette)." :D
Age & cunning meets youth and ... :sneaky:

·
Registered
208 Posts
it's never been a question (on the street, the track or in the publications) that a mustang [pony car] isn't in the same league as the vette [supercar]. mustangs belong in the sandbox with camaros, challengers and chargers.

a real comparison is between a Ford GT, dodge viper SRT10 (or SRT10 ACR) and Z06 or ZR1.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice, always enjoyable educating the young. :lol:

Couple weeks ago I was coming into a city out where I live, a nice relaxing drive. Road goes from 2-way to divided 4. About 5 miles of open road before things get busier.
Looking in the RV mirror I notice from behind the car immediately to my rear slides-out a black w/ red stripes GT 500 into the left lane.
Pretty car.

The driver, for some reason, wanted nothing whatsoever to do with the Blue Flame. I can't for the life of me understand why, either. :sneaky:

That Ford GT 500 owner, he really hurt my feelings! :bump:
Guess the word's out. :lol:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts