Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I'm the proud owner (for about a week now) of a 2002 EB Z06, with one minor detail. I noticed a fairly deep scratch on the roof over the driver's side, and pointed it out to the dealer with a veiled threat of not taking the car. The dealership I got it from (in Oklahoma) said to go ahead and drive it home (Southern California), get a quote for a fix, and they would gladly pay for it.

So I take it to the local Chevy dealership (they have their own body shop) and got a quote for about $440. They will remove the roof and glass (this is where i got scared) and completely refinish it. The dealership I got the car from thinks it is a bit much, but they'll go for it.

:puke:

So I guess I'm basically wary about taking it to the local dealership body shop, and wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on shops in the Southern California (I'm a bit north of LA) area that I should talk to about getting it done *right*.

Anyway, other than that, the car is mint, I couldnt be happier :cool:

My porsche/audi friends and I are having a detailing fest this weekend, and I'll have my camera ready.

thanks in advance,

-e

·
Registered
0 Posts
e,

Sorry I can't help you and very sorry about your problems with the new Z06. :(

But I can say:

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!! C :cool: :cool: L

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not sure what dealer you went to but stay away from Rydell. I've had numerous problems with my car, including a replacement motor, all done at Allen Gywen Chevrolet in Glendale. Although the many trips to and from the dealer were quite annoying they always took care of me.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT LET THEM REMOVE THE ROOF ....GM will not approve or warranty that type of fix because its an open invitation for water leaks excetera.....believe me.....and they do not need to remove the windshield either. They should sand, primer, and spot paint as necessary.

I actually don't believe they would remove the roof for $400 anyway.

Go to a dealer who isn't gonna bull sh$$ you. Get a real estimate.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Scratch on roof

I agree...I think removing the top and glass is a little extreme. However, I am not looking at the car either. I have a great body shop here, I know I am too far away for you to get it done here...unless you really want to come to a crawfish boil real bad!!!But I will talk w/ my body shop tommorow and see what they think. No matter what that's a bummer that you have to deal with something like this.

I will let you know tommorow what they say!

:-? :-? :-? :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
erhankins,

Welcome to the forum :) :) :)

We had a nother member whose car came with a roof blemish, and it was repaired under warranty. Roof was not removed.

Let us know how it turns out !

·
Registered
906 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:cheers:
...you know, a black vinyl covered roof could look good with the EB!:eek:
-HarleyB:z: :z:

·
Registered
496 Posts
scratch on hood

Well I don't have any conclusive news for you, but here is what I have. My body shop manager says that you shouldn't have to remove the roof unless there was a significant amonut of damage. I guess the best thing to do is get a second and a third opinion.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
DONT DO IT PAIT WILL NEVER BE THE SAME .. BUT CHECK IT OUT VERY GOOD .. GOOD LUCK ..

·
Registered
695 Posts
Your Chevy dealer may be fine, but I'd check the independents. If you have a local Vette club, start there...otherwise look for a Porsche club. They will usually gravitate to a particular shop if it has the reputation.
The problem in not removing the windshield/back glass is that they will likely paint/clear up to the moulding and in 6 months you will have clear chipping by these mouldings. If they can avoid getting close to these mouldings by "feathering" the paint/clear then I think you will be OK.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Man...I must be missing something. How do you remove the roof of a Z06? I can't believe any body shop would remove the roof in order to fix a scratch.

That sure seems extreme. Good Luck and hope it turns out ok.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I've said it before many times.

Find the best touch up guy in your area, who drives around from dealer to dealer touching up dings and scratches. I've got a guy who now does this regularly for me and is fantastic !!!!

When I went to the movies some [email protected]#$%^& backed into my 98 vert and left a bunch of scratches. Local Corvette body shop quoted $ 700.00 plu to remove the rear fascia, the tailights etc.
Also got the front whacked - minor surface scratches, buffed most of them out, then put a nick in the driver's door with a key.

This guy came along and quoted me 80 bucks to do all three items. I screamed 80 dollars - he said, do you think that's too much - I said heck no do it, before you change your mind.

It was perfect when he left.

These guys are a godsend to the used car dealers and drive body shop owners nuts.

Find one and pay him top dollar.

Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts