Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife was supposedly guiding me close to the curb in a corner parking space so I'd be away from other vehicles, but she didn't tell be how close I was getting before I rubbed up against the cement curb scratching my right front rim for about 10" along the flat bevel (the 3/16" or so flat area on the rim where the tire meets). . . not really deep scratches, but scratches just the same. Any advise on how to remove, polish, and wax/clear coat? Much appreciated! :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
So sorry to hear that, unfortunately I don't know any way to fix it.

I'm curious though, did you give a dirty look to your wife :eek: or you just smiled? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,543 Posts
Shop around for a wheel repair specialist in your area. Also, I know this may pain you, but any pics? You may be able to work it out yourself if it isn't too bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Wassup! said:
My wife was supposedly guiding me close to the curb in a corner parking space so I'd be away from other vehicles, but she didn't tell be how close I was getting before I rubbed up against the cement curb scratching my right front rim for about 10" along the flat bevel (the 3/16" or so flat area on the rim where the tire meets). . . not really deep scratches, but scratches just the same. Any advise on how to remove, polish, and wax/clear coat? Much appreciated! :idea:
You may want to sand out the scratches with ultra fine sand paper, (2000 grit, etc) to smooth out the effected area. Follow the sanding with a light polishing compound then on to polish/wax. You could try polishing out the scratches first to see if just polishing will remove them. Adam's Scratch and Swirl Polish would be a good candidate to try first.This type of repair can be done by hand if the scratches aren't too deep, (down to the aluminum).

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scratches on my Z06 rims . . .

Thanks to all for your suggestions . . . and yes I smiled at my wife and told her that I would guide her into a parking place in her car which is a new car, too . . . she didn't laugh back! :roll:

I tried light sanding with very fine sand paper (emory), then fine steel wool, and finally using polishing compound and Meguiar's chrome polish . . . it is almost not noticeable at this point with the exception of a two deeper scratches . . . maybe I'll go after them with more slightly coarser emory and repeat the same follow on steps.

I guess I should spray on "clear coat" wheel paint which I saw in the Eckler's catalogue to prevent tarnish -- although I don't take her out in the rain -- correct?

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Wassup! said:
Thanks to all for your suggestions . . . and yes I smiled at my wife and told her that I would guide her into a parking place in her car which is a new car, too . . . she didn't laugh back! :roll:

I tried light sanding with very fine sand paper (emory), then fine steel wool, and finally using polishing compound and Meguiar's chrome polish . . . it is almost not noticeable at this point with the exception of a two deeper scratches . . . maybe I'll go after them with more slightly coarser emory and repeat the same follow on steps.

I guess I should spray on "clear coat" wheel paint which I saw in the Eckler's catalogue to prevent tarnish -- although I don't take her out in the rain -- correct?

It sounds like you are on your way to a fix for this unfortunate accident. If you have stock Z wheels they may not be clear coated. I know my Z16 wheels are but don't know about the rest. If they are not clear coated there is no need to clear coat them now. Stock wheeled Z owners my need to chime in on this subject.

D.J.

:coo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks -- One Quick Coupe/Z06 Addict

Actually, mine is a Z16 and I think I go at the last two more noticeable scratches with emory, etc and then clear coat . . .

You know . . . it almost reminds me of high school some 36 years ago when I had "zits", but only minor "zits" -- it was annoying, just like the blemishes on my right front wheel! :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,375 Posts
Wassup! said:
Actually, mine is a Z16 and I think I go at the last two more noticeable scratches with emory, etc and then clear coat . . .

You know . . . it almost reminds me of high school some 36 years ago when I had "zits", but only minor "zits" -- it was annoying, just like the blemishes on my right front wheel! :cry:
Well now those wheel zits are almost gone and your wife is out of hot water. The clear will be next. You may want to blend in the clear or lightly sand the face of the whole wheel and give the whole thing a coat. You sound like you have things well in hand. Your almost home on this one. Tell your wife it's not to late to take you out for dinner to make up for her mistake. You may want to stand back a few feet when you tell her that.

D.J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To One Quick Coupe - Z06 Addict

I think you're right on both counts -- clear coating the wheels and dinner for the wife!

Thanks again!
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top